4627 wick Recomm?

Hi

i use 4627 wax in my container candles.

Ive been using tins lately ( of diff. sizes). and some glass containers

any recommendations on Wicks? i heard Cd wicks arent that great with this wax. What do you think about ECO,Zinc,or paper cored wicks...any other suggestions?

I'm still wondering if I got the wrong idea about this or exactly the right idea.

When I tried zincs in this sort of blend they did form a melt pool more easily, but it seemed to be because they burned so badly with this viscous, hard-to-burn wax. It's the mushrooms that melted the wax, maybe in combination with low ROC. With all types of candles I've noticed that if the wick mushrooms in a particular direction, the heat of that hot coal clinging to the wick melts a bunch more wax on that side.

I even took it to an extreme and tried a distinctly too-small zinc size. That candle looked so dim and sad burning next to the other testers, yet it got a full melt pool where larger wicks with nice burns didn't succeed -- apparently due to that big old 'shroom.

It's just hard to consider trading off a good burn for an easy melt pool. Kind of like designing a system to work by counting on the malfunction of one of its components.

Years ago when I started making candles, the choice for wicks was nothing like it is today. And of course, the first wicks I used were zinc. Those darn wicks would mushroom to the size of an eraser on a pencil. Good grief, they were horrible now that I think back. I've come full circle because I'm with Grumpy on this one, zincs work fantastic in 4627 wax for me, and I use them for jars under 3" all the time and get a great melt pool and a strong scent throw and the mushrooms are not big like they were back then. It helps to buy them from a good supplier and I always buy from Peaks. They don't vary in quality and I know I can rely on Peaks for the quality. With that said, if I am making a candle that has an oil known to need a hotter wick, I'll always use the cotton wicks from Peaks. Again, for the quality. They don't mushroom like they used to either. There are so many variables in waxes, blends, the % of fragrance, etc, it's all about what works for you. When we tell you what we use, don't set it in stone for yourself. Test, test and test some more as everyone always says.