The Perfect Mold????

DonC

I think i can see it, let's see if i can explain it a bit better

The center would be the cups that would lock onto the bottom

on the bottom would be the base of a votive with a small nub in the center of each cup location for a wick pin

the top would be a lid that will line itself with the cups of the center, and put the wick pins in from the top so that there are no indentions on the bottom because of a wick pin.

Is that about right?

since you can make things, think you can make me a 4 inch chime candle mold like this? 4 inches tall 1/2 inch diameter. would love it to have 12 to 24 holes. I tried to make one and ended up with a useless pile of metal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Old-Primitive-Tin-6-Tube-Taper-Candle-Mold-With-Handle_W0QQitemZ270186164900QQihZ017QQcategoryZ1217QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is what i'm trying to make

http://www.azuregreen.com/index.html?stocknumber=C4CG

My votives used to be sharp (and other molds), but I thank the person who posted everyday (even if I can't remember their name) that told me to sand down the edges a bit. When hubby gets back, he's gonna sand them down to have no lip so I don't have that pesky overlap, but still the size I want.

Yes Grama the wick pins will be centered:wink2:

Artcwolf, you have it...............that is my plan.:highfive:

As for the chime candles, let me get this mold made first and see how it goes before I start another one;)

Yes Grama the wick pins will be centered:wink2:

Artcwolf, you have it...............that is my plan.:highfive:

As for the chime candles, let me get this mold made first and see how it goes before I start another one;)

sounds like a plan i like that idea....I'm going to check out a couple of silicon molds, so take yout time

Don, be careful about the top. Soy wax, for example, gets a VERY wonky lookin' top if covered too closely. When I started using bow tie wick holders, I discovered that if they were hanging down too close to the cooling wax, the top under the bow tie would be affected. I do not like to use heat guns to smooth tops, particularly on soy, because the uneven extreme heating/cooling promotes frosting.

Aluminum is great - no teflon coating needed!

This sounds like a GREAT project! I hope you can make us all a better mold! :D

DonC - that sounds like a very interesting project! Good luck! We will be watching.......:yay:

I am envious of those of you that do not have any problems with your votives releasing. I usually have about 3-5 out of each batch of 20 that refuses to budge without alot of "tapping" (POUNDING! LOL). Then, when I finally get it out, the wick pin refuses to budge, so I am pressing the wick pin against the table, trying to get it to release - then it bends :rolleyes2 .

Is mold release the answer? Do alot of you use mold release with your votives? Is the burn affected when adding this?

If there is a better way, please share with me!!!!!! lol

DonC you must work in a machine shop. That's what I did in the navy. I'd kind of like to get behind a lathe and milling machine again LOL

Stay away from my husband!!! He gets the notion to get out his lathe every 6-8 months, and I end up with another hunk of wood that looks pretty but serves absolutely no purpose.

Stay away from my husband!!! He gets the notion to get out his lathe every 6-8 months, and I end up with another hunk of wood that looks pretty but serves absolutely no purpose.

ROFL :laugh2:

He must have a wood lathe. I would love to play around with a wood lathe. Does he make candleholders for you? I made parts for ships and submarines, but not out of wood. :laugh2:

Yeah, it's a wood lathe, though I have no idea what kind or anything. That's "his" area. He gets the dank basement and I took over the dining room. :D And no, he makes nothing. And I mean that. He gets these little knife looking things, makes pretty designs and voila! A piece of wood, that does look better when it started. Maybe I should start slapping bases on them and carve out a top for candleholders. :D