Calling all rustic/mottled pillar makers....

Do you test burn every fragrance in your pillars? I guess I mean a full pillar? Or maybe you create a votive to see how it burns and then you know how your wick will perform.

And if you do, are you more concerned about how it burns vs scent throw?

Pillar arrangments give you a better fragrance vs just a single pillar, right? This is my experience. Is it yours?

Okay, but what if you offer different shapes & heights. (sp?) Do you burn every kind? Or just a standard 3x4?

And one last question...how many scents do you really offer in pillars.

I ask because I'm really wanting to go back to pillars vs jars. I want shelves and shelves of pillars. What a beautiful site that would be!

TIA everyone!

Every size, every FO really needs to be tested. Burn profiles are different, you might use completely different wicks, and of course every fragrance has to be tested separately.

On pillars though, if a 3x3 behaves properly, I rarely do a 3x6 test. I did a couple just to make sure, but found that the extra 3" didn't make a difference in my case.

That's one problem with having a wide variety of shapes/sizes - the testing involved. But as you test, you get more experience in what works, so the testing goes faster.

In my 2" pillars, I've only tested 4 scents. My 3" pillars I've tested 35-40 scents, but I don't really offer them anymore.

I test burn all my sizes and all the different fragrances. I have to, because sometimes I have to wick up. I'm pretty lucky that I can use the same size wick on most of the pillars though. (I carry 3x3, 3x6, 3x9,3x12, 4x5 and 6x6; I use octagonal, square, round and pyramid molds).

I carry almost 70 scents right now, but I'm getting ready to pare down some. It's crazy trying to keep enough of each oil on hand to cover every order. In the last month I've ordered more fragrance oils than I've made in orders. Seems if they order 6 different pillars, I have to buy all the scents because I'm low. I'm now ordering at least 2 lbs of each scent when I place an order, and eventually I'll probably go up to 5 lbs of each scent, and carry 25-30 scents.

DanaE

Okay, now I need each one of you to call my husband and explain this. I light up these candles and he about freaks on me.

Do your pillars sell very well for you?

Just remind him that burning them up by testing is MUCH better than having someones house catch on fire and sue you :undecided

I second Ducky!!

I test all of them, including my tarts. I'll be offering 3 x 3 and 3 x 6 pillars, votives, tarts and move into containers as I get more customers. I have a 3 x 9 that's more for personal use, though if I have someone asks me, I'll make one, but not without a test burn first. If a candle doesn't burn right for me, then I know to either remelt and repour, or shove another wick in it and try again.