Wax Hand Mold

lu244la

Hi, everyone

I just came back from a weekend trip to San Antonio, Texas. We stop at a shop downtown called wax hand or something like that, anyway they got their hand dipped in wax and got to make a mold of their hand. Does anyone have directions to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Ludi

I don't have directions, but a few years ago at an outside festival there was a booth and that is what they were doing, you'd pick the colors you wanted and dip your hands into warm wax. Was pretty kewl, I still have mine-and they were making a killing.

Knowing nothing about this except what is in that link I would just have to guess. I would think not. Since it is called "flexwax" I'm thinking it is specially formulated to have some "give" so it can be removed without cracking. It melts at 120 degrees so it is not hot enough to burn skin. I don't play much with wax anymore but I think most of it has a higher melt point. I'm remembering temps of 150-180. Much too hot for skin contact. Maybe someone else will chime in here who can do better than my "guess" answer.

Glo

I was doing a craftshow a few years ago and the lady used to pour hot wax from tapers in a huge tub of water and make an ugly candle with holes thru it. She put the candle on a piece of wood so customers could take it home and display it. She made a ton of money doing this. I just think it was very clever what she was doing, but I didn't get it. They were kinda ugly but people like unique stuff.

I was doing a craftshow a few years ago and the lady used to pour hot wax from tapers in a huge tub of water and make an ugly candle with holes thru it. She put the candle on a piece of wood so customers could take it home and display it. She made a ton of money doing this. I just think it was very clever what she was doing, but I didn't get it. They were kinda ugly but people like unique stuff.

I just found this candle technique! Ewww!!! LOL This is what it looks like. http://www.craftbits.com/viewProject.do?projectID=146

146mainwatercandlemr7.th.jpg

"once you have it mastered you can make these beautiful decorated candles." beautifully decorated? surely not referring to the one posted there!

but I believe some might be interesting.

ETA: the same web site has a project where you make a candle with pine cones IN it... brilliant! NOT!