another ? on throw

I am just curious as to how much scent "throw" a 10oz candle should have. I know that some people prefer them to be very strong, and others are fine with lighter scents. In your opnions, what do you all prefer. I like strong smelling candles, but I can't seem to smell up more than a small bedroom with a single candle. My house has very high ceilings (in my living room) so that may account for it, but what should I resonably expect my 10oz candles to fill. I am at 8% FO right now, and would prefer not to use more than that. I could try to load it more, but I don't want to waste FO if I don't have to. I also have some 22oz jars, but have not tested in them yet, so maybe they would fill-say-a large family room? Should I just by a store candle to compare. I don't know, any input is appreciated. TIA

8_1_218.gif

http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb064&pp=ZNxdm021

Hi Angela,

What are some of the scents that are not giving you a throw and from where? I think I remember you saying you are using the Jelly Jars. I hope I got that right. I have found that if I do have a larger meltpool, I get a better scent throw. I bet if you test the 16 oz., you will get a better throw. I also find that some scents are strong one room throwers and others are house fillers -- upstairs too. Even my favorite candle company has some that are softer ones that fill a large room nicely but not the whole house and others that throw through the whole house. I find this to be the same for me. Going up to 9% may help, but I understand not wanting to do that if you don't really have too.

Also, I can't remember now. Are you single wicking? You probably are if you are using the JJ. I have always noticed that double wicking gives a better scent throw. There are those who disagree with this but this is my experience. I would like to be able to single wick (I think it looks more ellegant) but I can't for two reasons: can't get the same scent throw and can't get a complete meltpool.

Keep testing and let me know the details. :)

It definitely depends on the scent. I think any candle can fill a room --and a house--even a votive, if it is a strong thrower. A light scent, well, that is a different story!

I have a few I use at lower %'s, but most scents are at 8-9%. I just don't feel I get a strong throw at the lower % with most oils. Even my testers come back and say a candle wasn't strong if I try to pour less---even with WYW and CC. So I guess it is everyone's personal preference and what they consider a strong candle.

If you have high ceilings, that definitely makes a difference, too. Give your candles to a friend to burn in their house, and go over and see what you think. I had to do that a few times due to the air flow in our home. High ceilings and return air ducts can make a difference in the throw. I have since then found strategic spots in our home to test in. If they pass then I know they have a strong throw.

If you want to PM me, I can help you with particular scents?

Jordan

HI,

Thanks for the replies. I am using an 8oz tin, 14oz tumbler, and then I have a larger 22oz bail jar. I only double wick the bail jar. But I might try to do what Holly said and double wick. I like the looks of the single wick better, but I agree that the throw is more important. I will also try a 9% FO load, and see if that helps. So far, I am using scents from the scented bean, peaks, and candlesource. These are the only ones that I have tried so far. I the bakery scents seem to be way strong, and the "bath" scents lighter. But I would at least like to get them to fill a larger room. Maybe I will give a couple to some friends to try. Maybe I just have candle nose. Anywho, I will keep trying. Thanks for the suggestions!!!!!!!!!

angela

HI,

Thanks for the replies. I am using an 8oz tin, 14oz tumbler, and then I have a larger 22oz bail jar. I only double wick the bail jar. But I might try to do what Holly said and double wick. I like the looks of the single wick better, but I agree that the throw is more important. I will also try a 9% FO load, and see if that helps. So far, I am using scents from the scented bean, peaks, and candlesource. These are the only ones that I have tried so far. I the bakery scents seem to be way strong, and the "bath" scents lighter. But I would at least like to get them to fill a larger room. Maybe I will give a couple to some friends to try. Maybe I just have candle nose. Anywho, I will keep trying. Thanks for the suggestions!!!!!!!!!

angela

Yep--

Candle nose will really effect how you detect scents. Especially if you have been doing lots of pouring. Give it a couple days and try again. Oh, forgot to mention that I also double wick my apothecary jars, but to be honest, I don't notice any difference in the scent throw. I used to single wick them, and if they were gonna throw, it made no difference in the scent throw IMO.

Jordan

Hi again Angela,

Yes, I agree with Jordan. Candlenose can definitely make a difference in testing the scent throw. Here is an example. I use Vanilla Dreams from The Scented Bean -- you may use this too. Anyway, I thought that it had a REALLY good throw but not a KNOCK your socks off throw but a good throw for a vanilla. A gave my friend one and when she had her husband bring me back the jar for my testing jars, he said it smelled great at first but then he felt it was too strong. I was really surprised and said that to me it had a real good throw for a vanilla but did not realize it was that strong. I think he is more sensitive though from what I can tell. I don't think it appeared that strong to Kristy. I will have to ask her to make sure. I have candlenose right now and it is driving me nuts! :tongue2:

Also, I noticed that the house I have now does not throw fragrances as strong as my last house. My last house was a one story and this one is a two story and has separate rooms -- not real open. This can make a difference. However, some scent will come all the way upstairs even if it is burning in the kitchen. If you have the high ceilings I am sure that some of the scent is rising upward and that may affect the strength of the fragrance where your nose is. lol

I will stick to the double wicking prognosis, that it helps the throw -- especially in a real slow burning wax as the CB-3 is and most soys.

You are using great oils so that should not be the problem. I am like Jordan, I tend to need to use at least 8-9 percent to be satisfied with the scent throw. I do have a few at 7%.

Keep testing and let us know how it goes.

~Holly

Hi again Angela,

Yes, I agree with Jordan. Candlenose can definitely make a difference in testing the scent throw. Here is an example. I use Vanilla Dreams from The Scented Bean -- you may use this too. Anyway, I thought that it had a REALLY good throw but not a KNOCK your socks off throw but a good throw for a vanilla. A gave my friend one and when she had her husband bring me back the jar for my testing jars, he said it smelled great at first but then he felt it was too strong. I was really surprised and said that to me it had a real good throw for a vanilla but did not realize it was that strong. I think he is more sensitive though from what I can tell. I don't think it appeared that strong to Kristy. I will have to ask her to make sure. I have candlenose right now and it is driving me nuts! :tongue2:

Also, I noticed that the house I have now does not throw fragrances as strong as my last house. My last house was a one story and this one is a two story and has separate rooms -- not real open. This can make a difference. However, some scent will come all the way upstairs even if it is burning in the kitchen. If you have the high ceilings I am sure that some of the scent is rising upward and that may affect the strength of the fragrance where your nose is. lol

I will stick to the double wicking prognosis, that it helps the throw -- especially in a real slow burning wax as the CB-3 is and most soys.

You are using great oils so that should not be the problem. I am like Jordan, I tend to need to use at least 8-9 percent to be satisfied with the scent throw. I do have a few at 7%.

Keep testing and let us know how it goes.

~Holly

Holly--

did you find a wick that you like in your jars?

Thanks for all the help guys, I will just keep playing. I did try to double wick and that seems to make a difference, but when I get to the end of my jars, there is this nasty black soot that stains the sides. I will try to wick down maybe, and still use 2 wicks. Back to testing.:smiley2:

Holly--

did you find a wick that you like in your jars?

Well, I started with the RRD's and stuck with them. I know someone else that uses the Calsoy CB-3 and uses the RRD's and it has worked for her too. I do wish they were a little stiffer, but I do get a nice burn. I may try a few more types later on. I am not too crazy about the kind that curl because I notice the side it curls away from will not burn as even. Although, if wicks are soft they can slightly move in one direction and the same thing can happen. Man, the headaches with wicking. :tongue2:

Thanks for all the help guys, I will just keep playing. I did try to double wick and that seems to make a difference, but when I get to the end of my jars, there is this nasty black soot that stains the sides. I will try to wick down maybe, and still use 2 wicks. Back to testing.:smiley2:

You got soot!? Ok, which jar again? Sorry I keep forgetting which one you are working with right now. :o The 14 oz. tumbler? So far, I have not gotten any soot at the bottom with the soy, but there can always be a first. The jars I use are the 18 oz. Footed Victorian jars (tapers at bottom), Vase jars (which tapers at the bottom too) and the candy jars (Victorian) -- which taper also at the bottom. Boy, I sure like a tapered bottom. :D I do like regular apothecaries to, but no, I have to make things more difficult. So far, I have not had any soot in these jars with the soy, but with paraffin that is another story -- soot city!

What wick and what size did you use with the double wicking? Keep testing.

~Holly

HI Holly,

Have you tried the LX wicks? ChrisR turned me on to them and they are the best!!

Hey Jordan,

Yes, I have used them but only in paraffin/soy blend and they did not work too well for me. I believe they are ones that curl -- which was a problem for me since I have the dreadful corners that are hard to get. I think I also remember them drowning on me, but that was with a completely different wax that was already hard to wick. I still have some. I may give them a try and see how they work -- see if they stay a little more stiff in the hot wax. Thanks for the suggestion. :) I will let you know.

~Holly

Well, I started with the RRD's and stuck with them. I know someone else that uses the Calsoy CB-3 and uses the RRD's and it has worked for her too. I do wish they were a little stiffer, but I do get a nice burn. I may try a few more types later on. I am not too crazy about the kind that curl because I notice the side it curls away from will not burn as even. Although, if wicks are soft they can slightly move in one direction and the same thing can happen. Man, the headaches with wicking. :tongue2:

Holly--

I started with RRD's a few years ago, and found they burn great, but do tend to bend to much. If they are not working well, try the LX, they rock! The Hemp wicks are also awesome in soy, they will shroom a bit, but stay nice and straight. I use these in my apothecaries with pure soy for double wicking.

I am just curious as to how much scent "throw" a 10oz candle should have. I know that some people prefer them to be very strong, and others are fine with lighter scents. In your opnions, what do you all prefer. I like strong smelling candles, but I can't seem to smell up more than a small bedroom with a single candle. My house has very high ceilings (in my living room) so that may account for it, but what should I resonably expect my 10oz candles to fill. I am at 8% FO right now, and would prefer not to use more than that. I could try to load it more, but I don't want to waste FO if I don't have to. I also have some 22oz jars, but have not tested in them yet, so maybe they would fill-say-a large family room? Should I just by a store candle to compare. I don't know, any input is appreciated. TIA

8_1_218.gif

I too have tall ceilings. 40foot ceilings in my Great room. When I set one of my pint size mason jars in the great room to test, the candle has 1 1/2 if it's the first test and 1 hour if it's the secod test, to reach my office upstairs. My home is an open concept log cabin.

If the scent throw takes longer than 1 1/2 hours, it's back to the drawing board for me because it's what I've come to expect from a quality candle that I make from pure soy

I use 1 1/2 oz per pound and cure for five days prior to testing. I've never had a Peaks or Boleks scent fail me in testing although I've had a few scents that I didn't care for and just didn't use.:yes:

You got soot!? Ok, which jar again? Sorry I keep forgetting which one you are working with right now. :o The 14 oz. tumbler? So far, I have not gotten any soot at the bottom with the soy, but there can always be a first. The jars I use are the 18 oz. Footed Victorian jars (tapers at bottom), Vase jars (which tapers at the bottom too) and the candy jars (Victorian) -- which taper also at the bottom. Boy, I sure like a tapered bottom. :D I do like regular apothecaries to, but no, I have to make things more difficult. So far, I have not had any soot in these jars with the soy, but with paraffin that is another story -- soot city!

Holly

Yes the sides of the jars were all black, but I think that it may be a combo of too big of wicks (2 LX18's) and not trimming them down enough. So I am going to retest again tonight and see if I can fix this. This happened in my 14oz tumblers. I really like these LX wicks, they do tend to curl to one side, but they clean my particular jars well. But I fixed the throw issue, now back to the darn wick issue. Thanks for the replies!!!

Holly

Yes the sides of the jars were all black, but I think that it may be a combo of too big of wicks (2 LX18's) and not trimming them down enough. So I am going to retest again tonight and see if I can fix this. This happened in my 14oz tumblers. I really like these LX wicks, they do tend to curl to one side, but they clean my particular jars well. But I fixed the throw issue, now back to the darn wick issue. Thanks for the replies!!!

Hi Angela,

I bet you will be fine once you trim the wicks to 1/8 to 1/4. It may not matter too much at the top or close to the top with the soy since it is clean burning but when it gets to the bottom I think any wax and wick combo can soot if the wicks are too long -- soot caused by wicks. I am sure the LX's are great for your kind of jars. The reason I had more trouble is because my jars are square (at least two of them are) and the corners are hard to get. If the flame is just a little more toward one side it can affect getting those darn corners. My round jars also have a bit of trouble too because they are pretty wide at the top.

At least the scent throw issue is better for you. That is great! However, there will always be those duddy scents that just won't throw in it, but not too many. Keep us posted! :)