Multi-wicking

i tried to search to see if this has been discussed and didn't come up with much...so forgive me if this is repetitive...i saw a jar at walmart that i would love to try and make a candle with, but will need to have 2-3 wicks. my question is, how do you decide what sizes to start with? this is how i was thinking of starting....say the diameter is 5"... i was thinking i would use, say 2 wicks that would go into a jar that had a 2.5" diameter?? since i use ECO wicks, i would try two 6's as a starting point....is that even close to how you would figure what sizes to start with? sorry if this is a silly question of if my "formula" is goofy...:embarasse i appreciate your input...so thank you in advance!!

• 1 month later...

I want to use a big Pickel Jar (2/3 gallon size) with 'fh 50/50' wax. I have and only have "62-52-18" wick plus a little small, medium, and large wicks that i bought at acmore.

Can i wrap two 62 together to get a nice melting pool.

ps

the jar is 5 1/2 inches wide and i use the 62 for 4 inch jar and i like the way it works

thank you

I personally would say no to wrapping any wicks together. The flame alone of two wicks together would be more like a torch and with crazy customers, just a big no-no in my book. Order some sample packs and test double wicking the right way. :cool2:

I can't help with ECO wick sizes since I've never used them.

I want to use a big Pickel Jar (2/3 gallon size) with 'fh 50/50' wax. I have and only have "62-52-18" wick plus a little small, medium, and large wicks that i bought at acmore.

Can i wrap two 62 together to get a nice melting pool.

ps

the jar is 5 1/2 inches wide and i use the 62 for 4 inch jar and i like the way it works

thank you

You'll likely get more help if you start your own thread since you're making something different and some will assume that your post is a reply to her question.

Having said that... no, I wouldn't twist wicks together. If you use more than one they need to be spaced apart. Also you need to use a small wick if you're going to use double. Granted this is a very general way to think of it but if a 62 melts to the 4" sides, two of them is going to be closer to an 8" melt pool. I usually drop my wick size in half to start testing, though I don't mess with containers too much.