UPS rate changes for 2008

KJohnson

I got this email thought I would pass it along:

As 2008 approaches, all of us at UPS would like to express our appreciation for your continued business. To help you plan for the coming year, we want you to know about new UPS rates and services that will take effect December 31, 2007.

UPS published small package Retail Rates will change as follows*: UPS Ground and UPS Standard to Canada services will increase 4.9%. Air and International express services will increase a net 4.9% through a combination of a 6.9% increase in rates and a 2% reduction in the air and international fuel surcharge.

Changes will also be made to accessorial charges. Residential Surcharges will increase by $0.10 for both Ground and Air services. The charge for Ground Address Corrections will increase $1.00. The charge for Declared Value will increase $0.10 per $100 of Declared Value with a minimum charge of $1.80. To see the complete list of accessorial changes, please visit ups.com/rates.

You can view updated rate and service information by visiting ups.com/rates on the following dates:

• November 16, 2007: Preview UPS Ground, Air and International express rates and accessorials.
  • December 6, 2007: The printed 2008 UPS Rate and Service Guide will be available for preorder. Guides will start shipping at the end of December.
  • December 31, 2007: The 2008 UPS Rate and Service Guide will be available to download.

Visit ups.com on December 31, 2007, for information on new product and service enhancements for 2008:

• Simplified international shipping
  • UPS Freight service guarantee
  • New air freight services

Well I know that due to gass prices, my wax has gone up three times this year! It just went up another $ 2.50 per fifty pound box. Good thing I don't have to pay to have waxed shipped! But I understand the position my supplier is in too so I just tell them how much I need and pay it with a smile!:wink2: It doesn't due me a bit of good to complain and they are local for me so I have it better than most!

Fire

My electric warmer supplier also ships by DHL. I have read some bad reviews online about them, but the only minor problem I had out of several shipments was that once my order arrived separated ( I received half one day and the rest the next day.) Otherwise, my shipments have arrived as quickly as UPS's. I didn't try to track my order, but just read a negative review on Epinions.com about their tracking system. I wish more suppliers would offer DHL shipping. They were so much cheaper. Here are freight charges from two identical (pkg. weight) invoices to show the difference:

I ordered 72 warmers August, 2007. UPS shipping was $89.70.

I ordered 72 warmers November 2007. DHL shipping was $52.95.

Total weight was about the same on both orders....same # of boxes and boxes were same size and shipped to and from same locations.

This is a hugh difference of $36.75. (approximately 41% cheaper rate than UPS). UPS needs this competition. I would tolerate a little inconvenience myself occasionally for the difference in price. If I start having any major problems, then I'll have to switch back to UPS.

I ordered 72 warmers August, 2007. UPS shipping was $89.70.

I ordered 72 warmers November 2007. DHL shipping was $52.95.

Total weight was about the same on both orders....same # of boxes and boxes were same size and shipped to and from same locations.

This is a hugh difference of $36.75. (approximately 41% cheaper rate than UPS). UPS needs this competition. I would tolerate a little inconvenience myself occasionally for the difference in price. If I start having any major problems, then I'll have to switch back to UPS.

Have you noticed the same difference/savings on outgoing packages/orders? I just got on DHL's site and got quotes for the orders I shipped last week, and each one was higher than what I paid for UPS, with the exception of a large wholesale order. So for me it appears that they are cheaper somehow on large/heavy orders, but not everyday orders, so I would really have to crunch the numbers to see if it were a true savings or not.

For those only paying incoming rates and not shipping website or wholesale orders, then I could certainly see how DHL would seem like a big savings since they do appear to be cheaper on those heavy shipments (like wax to you door!)

My daughter will be 3 next month and I looked in her baby book and prices of things (gas in particular) have doubled in that time..........go figure

Yes, and salaries have not increased by the same amount over the same period. Well I don't see what we can do except to maybe do your stock taking prior to January so that you can reorder any needed supplies before the rates go up.

SoapMom, no I haven't shipped out anything with DHL, nor have I had anything small shipped to me. The boxes my warmers were in measure

24"x18"x17' (6 very large, heavy boxes) for the shipping rate I quoted. I have no idea what wax would cost shipped by them, but it might be worth asking suppliers to compare rates on wax or large boxes, who are now shipping UPS. I also don't know if DHL goes up on their rates as frequently as UPS. I just started using them this summer and only through this supplier for warmers. UPS seems to be the "King of the Road." I can't figure out how DHL can make money with the rates I paid, if UPS can't seem to do so without a 41% higher rate hike on my shipments.