Strange batch of candles!!!

Hello everyone!

I made a small batch of candles (2 -16 oz. jars). I used Old Christmas Tree fragrance with Cargill C-3 soy wax. Did everything like normal.... And kaboom!!! eek.gif Look at the candles 3 days later... One is seeping & the other isn't. The candles have been (curing with lids on) sitting together on the same shelf. I thought that this was rather strange being the fact that they were poured from the same batch! confused.gif I dabbed the top of the candle to get the seepage off of it. I check it the next day and it is still seeping and the other candle hasn't seeped at all. Anyway, I thought that I would share. Just thought that it was really weird. crazy.gif

Happy pouring!!! wave.gif

Beverly

My guess would be that the one that is seeping is the second one you poured. Some of your FO probably sank to the bottom, and thus ended up more concentrated on the top of the second candle. I always stir my FO really well, allow the wax to cool to pouring temperature, and then do one final stir before I pour the candles. I don't know if this will work with C-3 wax though. I've never used it. But, if you have to pour at the slushy stage then stirring right before pouring might make way too many air bubbles. I pour my wax at about 140, so it isn't slushy at all.

Thanks for the reply. That is an idea.. I do a final stir right before I pour. But I wonder, on this particular fragrance, if I need to add the fragrance at a higher temperature to ensure that it blends better. It may be a heavier fragrance. Hmmmm :confused: I'll give it a try next batch. What do you think?

Beverly:grin2:

You should be adding your FO at good temperature. I heat my wax to about 190 and as soon as I put it in my pour pot, I add my FO and stir for about 2 or 3 mins to make sure it is mixed, then add dye and stir a couple of more minutes, then leave set until the slushy stage, then stir again and pour. I understand that the C3 is poured hot, so you should be adding your FO at a pretty high temp.

How much per pound of F/O did you use and how old it it? It's it's from last year it might well have gone bad and that might be the problem. What color are the candles? Red candles have always had issues with seepage. Is it very hot where you pour?

C-3 is POURED at 180-170. put your color in the melt pot and mix it in well. then pour your hot wax into pour pot, add F/O and stir very well.

I've had p[roblem with seepage when the weather is VERY hot with high humidity. And I've had problem with red or burgandy candles but only during hot weather.

Be sure to eith do a second pour or zap the top with heat gun.

C-3 is a great wax but it is VERY finicky in hot weather! But I learned how to work with in all weather so I'll stick with it.

C-3 is POURED at 180-170.
Is that supposed to read 160-170?

Just curious, what do you think is the difference in results if you pour this wax cold versus hot? I was going to try both in the course of testing but I'm willing to accept some time savings on the advice of a seasoned user.

To be frank, Murry, I've never poured it cold because the manufacturer states to pour it hot. I've always worked with hot pour soy waxes. I've worked with C-3 since they came out with it and C-2 for three years before that. C-2 was also a hot pour. The reason I like them is because I'm not waiting around for the slushy stage to occure.:waiting:

You should add the dye(unless liquid) in the melt pot. I add two ther waxes to it to make my own soy blend because everyone around me uses this wax and I want even more throw on the scent.

The major draw back to this wax, at least when you've been spoiled by C-2 is the cure time is at least five days. C-2 was two to three days.

And No, I pour the wax into my pour pots at 180 add scent and stir until 170. Then I pour5 into my unheated containers.