Let's do it again... Plastic Molds... Pourette... and what the heck to do?

Munky, you might feel differently if YOU were the artist who CREATED a design that others knocked off...

Copyright law doesn't give a crap about Power to the People and Pourette doesn't owe us a danged thing. We were lucky that they shared their creations with us for as long as they did. Design and make yer own. :)

Somebody needs to go to school here.

1) Look at the molds. There is no ownership expressed or implied.

2) The designs are free of any ownership -- hence why you see many of them used by plaster and candy companies.

Time to climb down off your high-horse and be part of a solution, not part of the problem.

Geeze!

(I needed a nice way to say, "you have no idea what you are talking about" -- I hope I did a good job) :D)

Specifically what plastic molds are you looking for, because you could already use your finished product to make a silicone mold, which really isn't totally stealing the plastic model is it? I mean plastic is two parts and your final product would be one part (we'd hope ;) )

Or you could just sculpt something similar to be your dummy and pour the silicone over it, couldn't ya? And what's to say there isn't a silicone mold already out there in what you seek? Not sure if it's really cheaper to make your own or buy it so I just stay away from it lol.

Specifically what plastic molds are you looking for, because you could already use your finished product to make a silicone mold, which really isn't totally stealing the plastic model is it? I mean plastic is two parts and your final product would be one part (we'd hope ;) )

Or you could just sculpt something similar to be your dummy and pour the silicone over it, couldn't ya? And what's to say there isn't a silicone mold already out there in what you seek? Not sure if it's really cheaper to make your own or buy it so I just stay away from it lol.

There are times when some of their 2 piece plastics were good for small runs... I would have the customer pay for the mold, run it... cheap molds... silicon is more money... oh well... I'll keep going. :D

2) The designs are free of any ownership -- hence why you see many of them used by plaster and candy companies.

Time to climb down off your high-horse and be part of a solution, not part of the problem.

Geeze!

(I needed a nice way to say, "you have no idea what you are talking about" -- I hope I did a good job) :D)

I own some of their molds. For copyright to be claimed, it is not necessary for there to be any mark on the mold. Perhaps this site would be of educational benefit to you

http://www.copyright.gov/

There are many designs that are not copyrighted because they are in the public domain, such as miniature statues of "The Thinker", gargoyles reproduced from architecture, etc. Many others are originals. I have no idea of whether the moldmaker at Pourette made their own originals or whether they knocked them off from someone else's work, but their site had a copyright on it and included their designs...

The SOLUTION is to design and make your own molds, not to knock off the work of others. I do know a little about this copyright and intellectual property stuff and also know how frequently and cavalierly people knock things off - a quick search of eBay will confirm this.

Assuming that a design is NOT copyrighted because you see it used by others is NOT the best way to ascertain intellectual property rights. Ask the folks who got Cease and Desist letters from Hershey's and Disney...

The best rule of thumb is that if you didn't design it, it ain't YOURS. Read the laws.

Geeze!

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

I think you did a great job, LMAO

Something about this just doesnt gel---or cure as the case may be.

Pourette made "cheesy" plastic molds which may or may not be copyrited. They have since gone out of business, meaning that their product is no longer available to the public.

If a copyright's intent is to safeguard a specific company's profits, just when, morally is it ok to forget about copyrights which may or may not be attributed to these molds?

More specifically, if a company owns a copyright and then goes out of business....what happens to said copyright?

Another possibility, I suppose is if you have an ebay account you could add pourette plastic molds to your want list. Or google for some plastic candle molds.