Salt Bars

8-GRAN-ONES

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gran, myself I've noticed that while they do seem to move fast after adding the salt, it really doesn't... it's the addition of the heavier weight additive (salt) that makes it seem to be tracing faster when in fact, it's just stiffer due to the dry ingredient that is added.

Grumpy is right on this one...the salt does nothing to accelerate anything!

Kind of like when you add the chocolate chips and stuff to your cookie batter.

I was wanting to do a swirl...will I have time??

Nice job! Those look great. Hope the TOG Mold worked well for you!!

Salt is a chemical, a natural one. Saponification is: the base (lye) turning the alkali (oils) into a form of salt. Adding salt will speed up the reaction. I am not a chemist, but salt speeds up the process. That is why salt bars generate more heat. That is why they are ready to use after 24 hours. Adding sodium lactate makes a harder bar, adding salt in a little bit to your CP does the same, adding up to 50% does a whole lot more.

Paul.....

If you guys don't pass out on me we're going to go for 6-10 color swirl in a standard salt bar recipe. I haven't decided how much I want to stress nerves yet. :D

*super banana* If ANYONE can achieve THAT...it's YOU, GG...:whistle:

I am hoping my first salt bars are not a Royal Flop!!!

How are they supposed to be when you bevel them..they seem

to be quite grity where I beveled..is this normal..I zap tested and

that was ok..They smell divine...My Grandaughter came in this morning while I was Beveling them..she said granma something smells really good..I had her smell one of the bars, she thought she would really like one too..

Soapman the mold worked great..I was not able to turn it over and they fall out..but when I started pulling up on the dividers a couple of bars came up with it,,I then was able to just pick the rest up..the bottom and side were nice and smooth..I think what happened is a little of the liquid soap seeped thur

the liners..

Also Soapman that beveler is the bomb...I can't believe how fast I Had them all beveled..

What can I do with the shavings from the soap beveler?

When I make salt bars now, I use my Tony's molds. After I take them out of the mold, I rub the bars with a wet terry cloth towel. It smooths the edges. Then I let them cure for at least 4 weeks. I actually like them better after 2 months or more. More bubbles and no dryness.

I squashed together with my hands the shavings from the beveler..

It seems to be crumbly...does that have a reflection on what my soap will be?

Or am I worrying needlessly...

Yes, you are worrying needlessly! :laugh2:

They will be fine. The first time they are used, you won't even see any roughness, they will be smooth as stone.

Only the shavings from beveling them...they lather like crazy..and already feel great, no harshness...and smell wonderful...Berts Redwood Cedar smells great in this soap...I made these especially for my guys, because it is a outdoorsy scent, but I will have to say,,I will probably use them too...lol

Only the shavings from beveling them...they lather like crazy..and already feel great, no harshness...and smell wonderful...Berts Redwood Cedar smells great in this soap...I made these especially for my guys, because it is a outdoorsy scent, but I will have to say,,I will probably use them too...lol

Question, is this "Berts" the supplier on E-Bay?

Paul....