My first pictures

musings

Hi, let's see if I can get a picture posted :D Yeah!!!!! It worked! Okay, votives are made with Astorlite V and this first pic shows an assortment of scents/colors in a giftbox.

giftset.jpg

This one shows some of my sample melts and some individually packaged votives. Sorry for the quality of the pics - a new digital camera isn't anywhere near being in the budget yet. The melts are 75% Astorlite V/25% Crafters Choice SP.

votivetart1.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Teresa

Teresa, I would love to know what you used for your sample melts. Dixie cups, mini muffin tin? Did you do a repour on those? I have used mini muffin tins, but unfortunately my wax requires a 2nd pour and they never turn out. Yours look very flat on top. Great job!!

Thanks! I love the Astorlite V and the Crafters Choice SP (both from WSP)! They are so easy to work with and yep, I can do the votives and the melts with one pour :D The melts were an 'accidental' mold discovery. I had bought some of the fluted molds but I just couldn't wait for them to get here so I poured the melts into some metal nut cups we had in the cupboard. I like them too but I'm not sure where to get more metal cups? I'm gonna have to search around in the domestics departments and see if I can get some cheap. If I find more, I will share what store has them! I have no idea where the ones in the cupboard came from? LOL.

I got some of the mini muffin pans too but I thought they were a huge pain in the butt to use. I kept pouring too much wax into the itty bitty muffin cup and it would go everywhere and then I would have to melt it all down and start again - ughhh! Any tips? I would be most grateful if you had any to share :)

Teresa

I got some of the mini muffin pans too but I thought they were a huge pain in the butt to use. I kept pouring too much wax into the itty bitty muffin cup and it would go everywhere and then I would have to melt it all down and start again - ughhh! Any tips? I would be most grateful if you had any to share :)Teresa

When pouring into the mini muf tins, I found it easier to pour with a cooler wax, which makes it a little thicker & it won't pour out quite as fast. It also makes a difference how much wax you put in your pour pitcher. Less means a lighter weight, which can aid in control while pouring ... depends on your wrist strength. If you don't like the mini tins, you might like the regular size ones. I use both.

Hadn't really thought much about melts before until VERY recently. Last week I started to melt my testers on a heating device while at work. It's been great to get feedback from co-workers re: their thoughts on the various FOs. Anyway, I'm thikning about melts in a whole new way ... compared to some on the board, maybe I'm just a little slow on the uptake reel. :D

LOVE your colors!

I'm so glad you guys like the colors! Most of the liquid dyes I have are courtesy of the classified board here :D

Thanks so much for the tips on the mini muffin tins - that was exactly what was happening! I usually melt 1 lb of wax at a time but that seems to still be too heavy for me to control (35 years of crocheting and knitting will lead you straight to a carpal tunnel surgeon! And I'm only 39! :laugh2: ) I think I will try 1/2 lb at a time and see if I can pour with a little more precision. Thanks for the tips!

Teresa