Color of tarts fading fom the outside in...

We pured some blue berry muffin tarts in clamshells and a month later they look like they have been bleached. The outsides are going clear and have a yellow tint almost like the dye is fading away. They were a blue color.

Any comments on why this is happening and if this is preventable.

Thanks so much

Ok great, so mostly for the blues and purples. How about the greens? Since it is an additional cost I don't want to add it if not neccessary.

:smiley2:

It's worth the added cost.

Green ... mmm. Haven't had a green fade yet, but I'm a habitual UV user.

Pinks will change on you too.

Are you using soy cause the UV won't keep them from fading. They are drying out and the only thing I have found that helps is bees wax.

Whoops, I didn't know that! We add UV to our soy candles, even tho 90% of our soy candles are white. I thought it might help them to not discolor.....

Are you using soy cause the UV won't keep them from fading. They are drying out and the only thing I have found that helps is bees wax.

That would depend on what kind of wax is used, how much FO and how the tarts are stored... The beeswax would harden the tarts somewhat, and perhaps prevent some frosting, but it wouldn't prevent UV fading...

I use UV as a matter of course with all wax products that I make. I don't have any fading with anything.

I hope that you are not confusing frosting with fading... 'cause little tarts seem a little more succeptible to frosting, and this would make the frosted area appear faded... adding USA and/or coconut oil would help frosting issues. It's important to store these little guys in a sealed container of some kind (some ziplok bags work) or shrink wrap 'em.

Does the UV inhibitor prevent the uncolored wax from turning brownish or yellowish?

ilovescents , it does help keep the candles from becoming yellowish or taking on that "old crisco" look... :)

Soy tarts are the only thing I know about. And I have tried UV to keep it from DRYING out. The color fading is another thing. Bought some UV from BCN and it did work at keeping the color from fading and kept the non color from turning. But it will not keep the drying out around the edges. I tested Bees wax and Clean wax, but they don't sell that anymore. Added 3 oz to 1 lb of soy wax and they kept their color and did not dry out for a year, that's as long as I tested. I just don't like them that hard so I am still looking for something else. I prefer a softer wax for tarts and use the 435. Right now my tarts are looking good so maybe it is strickly weather that changes everything. But then again have a new batch # that is much softer so I'm mixing with my older brittle batch. I'm not sure I'll ever get it figured out cause what I'm testing never stays the same.:confused:

Well, Sharon, if they really are drying out (and I have some laying on my table that look mighty rugged...), then it seems like one solution to keep that moist, dewy wax would be to use some coconut oil and beeswax in it - heck, maybe even Crisco... I think these would have to be stored sealed, though...

How are you storing them and how long does it take before the edges start drying out?

Hey - tarts are TOUGH sometimes for such little guys...:confused:

That's been my theory for years. Drying out? Need oil to eliminate! But I have never found just the right recipe. I have tried Crisco in the past and tried the CO recently but nothing helps all the time. And with each batch of wax your talking a new search for a formula . And believe me this takes so much time and by the time I figure it out. A new batch... But it doesn't matter what soy wax I use they all have their own problems. And so does paraffin. Nothings easy.

It seems that with batch to batch that some things are just uncontrollable. We live in an imperfect world with many inconsistencies, and maybe we should just let some of it go? I hear so many of us voicing our frustrations and getting so bent over some of these things...I just want everyone to have a smile and be happy. I know, I'm a total goody-two-shoes! But I've always felt that if the candles burn properly and scent the room and are safe, that some things we can try to get a handle on (like frosting and wet spots), but after that we have to count our blessings when we use soy wax...it is so finicky that we have to let our customers know that they are all handmade and sensitive to things like the weather, the phase of the moon, what time zone you are in, the fifth dimension, etc, and let it go. Stress shortens your life, guys and gals...just keep it in perspective. ( I know-GAG!)