Ex-Candle maker asking too many questions...

erinmfritz

I met this lady at a local business while I was there selling my candles. She started with telling me about how bad her allergies are and asking where I purchase my FO's. She said she has to send the MSDS sheets to her allergist for him to make sure they are safe for her to burn. Then she started asking questions like what type of wicks, do I use the same size for all of my candles, what size do I use, and kept talking about her allergies. Before she left, she gave me a company name locally that sells FO saying that her husbands business uses them.

Well, I asked a couple mutual friends if she used to make candles, one didn't know and the other said yes, years ago.

The second time I ran into her, she confessed that she did used to make candles (after she found out that I was told) and is offering to give me advice and possibly sell me some of her supplies. She bought a candle from me that night and called me today offering advice on the burn and asking what size wick I used for the container. She said she didn't get a full mp after burning it 2 times for 2 hours each and thought I should wick up. I told her that I did test the candle combo before I sold it and want a safe burning candle, when I tested the larger wicks it worked fine for the top of the candle but the bottom half got too hot. I also told her that because it is a tapered square jar, I have to wick it for the bottom of the candle and the hang up catches up after a few burns.

At this point, what do you think I should tell her, I can't tell if she is just trying to help or if she is trying to dig for "secrets", after all, she wasn't honest with me from the time I met her.

Sorry so long, just had to vent!!

Ya know.. That would really upset me..

You did not ask this woman to test your candles nor did you ask her for advice on candle-making. :mad:

I would politely change the subject to "her" candle-making failure. Why she is not longer in business, who she used to buy FO's, wicks and wax from..

Just turn the conversation around. (Mess with her head:p )

I am sure she will not like that.:smiley2:

If she was such a wonderful chandler, then why is she no longer in business. :rolleyes2

Whoa, sending MSDS sheets to the allergist? I think she went a little too far in concocting that story. If she has such severe allergies, I'm sure an allergist would simply tell her--DON'T BURN CANDLES.

If she's such a candle expert, wouldn't she be able to tell what size wick you used? If I were you, I think I would avoid this lady. You should be able to tell her, "no offense, but it's my policy to keep my trade practices confidential--as a former candle maker, I'm sure you understand." If she still goes after more info, take off running!

I agree with everyone else...don't divulge any information. Don't give out false information (I hate when people offer that advice, it's immature). Just let her know that you stand by your product and appreciate her concern and smile nicely.

Yeah I would keep my mouth shut!:lipsrseal I also am seeing an allergist and they don't care about a MSDS sheet. They already have tested to see what you are allergic to. Everyone always asks me why I make candles because I have chronic bronchial asthma...It sounds fishy to me. If she has such bad allergies than she should stay away from any fragrances. If she still persists tell her you would sell her unscented candles.

Thanks for your responses, I have never ran into someone like this lady. I'm going to try the turning the tables thing and see what she says. I know she made parafin and dabbled in soy candles. I believe she did gel also. And she was into lotion & soap bases I believe. She keeps asking where I buy my lotion base. (probably so she can sell it too) The unfortunate part is I will run into her every other Monday night at the business that is allowing me to come in to sell my candles to their customers. (Kinda like a craft show table set up) She has helped re-build this business after a fire so I know she'll be there.

I don't know, I think it is different sharing information on this board than to someone face to face in your own town. I don't even think I would share everything with my best friends and I trust them, my DH doesn't even know everything. This lady must think I am an idiot!!!!!!

I'm gonna take a different approach. This is just an idea, since I don't know this woman, but maybe she's just very very lonely, without much social graces and figures that's what you two have in common?

I still wouldn't give up info, but thought I'd toss that out there.