wholesale minimums

chrisasst

You need to figure out what minimum will be necessary for you to still make money in volume on wholesale sales. That is why minimums are created for wholesale accounts.. the volume.

If you can't sell enough to make it worth it, I would forget the wholesale. $50 wouldn't be worth it for me, but it may be for you, you just need to crunch the numbers. Good Luck.

Do you know what it costs to make a candle adding in your materials, time, O/H and profit? That will typically be your wholesale price. That would have to be doubled for retail, either you or the company buying wholesale. EX: your candle costs 2.00 material, 2.00 labor, .50 O/H and 1.00 profit. Your whlse would be 5.50. Your retail would be 11.00. Are you making enough candles to consider wholesaling? I would start with at least $100. min and go from there. Carole

don't I still make money, even at wholesale pricing? maybe I am not understanding that statement..

Hopefully, yes, you are still making money even at wholesale pricing, however the reason *I* don't sell to everyone at wholesale all the time is because for me it's not enough. I want to make more. The only way it's worth it is when they buy in some kind of volume so what money I do make comes in bigger lump sums.

I have an initial wholesale order minimum of $450 and a minimum reorder of $200. the good thing is that most of my reorders lately have been more than my minimum, so I be happy! I also have guidelines on how many of each scent. they ahve to order at least four or more of each scent, so I am not getting a $450 order for "one of this one and one of that one and one of this one, etc."

Kimberly will be so proud of me...she has been trying to get me to do more wholesale instead of shows, but I was just in that "But I make more per candle at a show!" But you know what, in the past two weeks, I have made more on wholesale orders than I would at a big show...and I did not have to travel, set up, sit outside for two days and tear down. I am slooooooowly coming around. :D

Don't sell yourself short. If you undercut but a lot, then it is too hard to go in and change.

don't I still make money, even at wholesale pricing? maybe I am not understanding that statement..
Yes you would still make money. But since wholesale pricing is typically half of what you would charge at retail, you are essentially working twice as hard for the same amount of money. Or getting paid half as much for the same amount of work, depending on how you look at it. Would that be worth it?

Personally I've never liked the whole "50% profit for the reseller" mentality on a boutique product. I'd be fine with giving a wholesaler 50% margin if I were a chinese manufacturing outfit, or even a US manufacturer with an automated process and huge quantity discounts on my materials. If I were large enough to buy my jars by the tractor-trailer load and my FO in 55 gallon drums, we could talk about 50%.

Since that's not the case and I buy my FO's and jars in MUCH smaller quantities, I can't afford to give them 50%. Frankly I don't think they deserve 50% for basically no effort on their part but that's another story. I don't offer my wholesalers more than 30%. Sure I don't get some accounts but that's ok, I'm not in it to be the next Yankee ;)