sugar scrub

Angeliquebe

Any sugar scrub should have a preservative in it because it will come in contact with wet hands/water.

There are several great recipes for sugar scrubs on the recipe forum. Salt Scrub recipes can also be used and just substitute sugar for the salt.

I am feeling generous, LOL. Here's my recipe:

60% Sugar

12% Shea Butter

18.8% Oils

1.5% E Wax

5.4% Stearic

.7% Preservative

.6% Cetyl Alcohol

1% FO

This takes a full 24 hours to set up, so don't be fooled. Keep stirring it every now and then. After 24 hours, if it's too stiff, add some oil, too loose, add some sugar. I don't add the scent until the end.

I make this all the time. Everyone loves it.

e

Hey E... just in case you are still feeling generous, lol... could I ask what the ewax, steric and alcohol do in/for a scrub. This is the first i've seen of this kind of recipie. And does it take any special equipment? I've only been extremely basic in mine so i'm jes curious. Thanks much Oh wise and generous one.:D

Hey E... just in case you are still feeling generous, lol... could I ask what the ewax, steric and alcohol do in/for a scrub. This is the first i've seen of this kind of recipie. And does it take any special equipment? I've only been extremely basic in mine so i'm jes curious. Thanks much Oh wise and generous one.:D

They keep it emulsified (not separated).

What preservative do you recommend for this recipe? :embarasse Don't know alot about which ones to use for sugar srubs! I was actually wondering if vitamin E would be enough of a "preservative" to use. Someone at my local health food market told me it would be all I would need to make it last at least a year. Is that right? TIA! :wink2:

Mary <><:D

liquipar or phenonip are the way to go with scrubs, since they have a high risk of water being introduced.

vitamin E is not a preservative, but helps prevent rancidity in the oils, extending their shelf life a bit.

Each preservative will tell you at what percentage it should be used, and each site that sells them will usually state this in their descriptions. ;)

Lotioncrafter is an awesome site to check out for all the ingredients you would need as well as having recipes for a lot of products. Also, the descriptions usually state which types of applications they are good for.

In my experience, most are used at 1%.

I would not be comfortable using vit. E as a preservative in any recipe that has water in it (such as lotion) or any product that comes into contact with water (such as scrubs, conditioners, etc.).

There are quite a few preservatives on the market that do not contain parabens, if anyone is concerned about them.

Blazerina, you don't need any special equipment to make a scrub. A reg. Hand held mixer is what I use for mine.

I have tweaked the Bohunk14 scrub recipe to fulfill my needs. That recipe is here in the recipe section I believe.

Out of all the products I now make, my sugar scrub is my BEST seller!

I only like the emulsified types, as I hate having to remix the oils (they always rise to the top) into the sugar for ea. Application. Too messy and time consuming, but if you don't mind that type you could just omit the emulsifiers (cetyl alcohol and ewax). I believe the stearic is used to stiffen the scrub.

HTH a bit! :)

Michi,

What are some good paraben free preservatives that you suggest? I saw the link about preservatives at the top of this section, but it is nice to get someone's opinions who has experience working with specific products! :wink2:

THANKS!

Mary <><

Thanks! :D One more quick question if you don't mind, I have an ingredients list for a scrub that lists "Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexyglycerin" as it's "paraben free preservative," (notice preservative is singular even though there are 2 ingredients listed). Are these 2 separate individual ingredients (if so, where would I get them?) or are they both contained in one product that I just don't have the name for? TIA!

Mary <><

Thanks! :D One more quick question if you don't mind' date=' I have an ingredients list for a scrub that lists "[b']Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexyglycerin" as it's "paraben free preservative," (notice preservative is singular even though there are 2 ingredients listed). Are these 2 separate individual ingredients (if so, where would I get them?) or are they both contained in one product that I just don't have the name for? TIA!

Mary <><

Possibly it's one preservative and they're listing the INCI description. For example, my preservative of choice is Liquid Germall Plus, as it's paraben free and suitable for just about any product, and its INCI is Propylene Glycol (and) Diazolidinyl Urea (and) Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate.

If you do a google search of your ingredients in question, you would find:

g_blank.gifTrade Name g_blank.gifEuxyl PE 9010 g_blank.gifINCI Name g_blank.gifPhenoxyethanol Ethylhexylglycerin g_blank.gifDescription g_blank.gifInnovative cosmetic preservative based on phenoxyethanol and ethylhexylglycerin. g_blank.gifApplications g_blank.gifLeave-on products

If you also searched the trade name after finding this, you would see that it isn't sold in the US. It is being used overseas. :wink2:

• 3 weeks later...

Beginner question......I make scrubs for myself but have not even thought about selling them until recently because I would have to add a preservative to it but now Im starting to warm up to the idea......now my question is are preservatives VEGAN or are there any that ARE VEGAN???? Ive tried to research but every time I google and read all this info it makes me feel crazy LOL

• 1 month later...

I have a sugar scrub question: how long does one stay grainy and scrubby? I've only made small batches of salt scrubs for my use and they're gone within a short time, and I have no experience making sugar scrubs. But I'm considering making some gifts. It just always seemed to me that the sugar would dissolve in the oil(s). Does it not? Will it after an extended period of time?

Darbla

I have a sugar scrub question: how long does one stay grainy and scrubby? I've only made small batches of salt scrubs for my use and they're gone within a short time, and I have no experience making sugar scrubs. But I'm considering making some gifts. It just always seemed to me that the sugar would dissolve in the oil(s). Does it not? Will it after an extended period of time?

Darbla

I make relatively small batches of sugar scrub, 500g, for my own personal use and to give to family and friends. The sugar does not dissolve in the oils so the scrub will stay "scrubby" for quite a while. However, I package mine in 4oz containers so it's again a relatively small amount. But that 4oz container will last me several weeks using it twice per week on my face and each time I shave my legs, which can be 2-4 times a week. My experience has been that the scrub stays "scrubby" right to the bottom of the jar.

HTH

In my most Un-scientifical :P way, i'd theorize that sugar and salt are neither soluable in oil. Therefore, they remain 'crispy' and scrubby.

Now before the Sceince majors correct me... of course if you were to heat the solution it would then probably dissolve into the oil. But i'm guessing given the chance it would crystalize back out of it eventually? Kind of like honey.

And even if you could dissolve grains into an oil, there is also something about when a 'carrier' so to speak (at least this is true with water and im guessing oil is the same) has reached it's limit of sugar or salt it stops taking it in/dissolving. So if you were to only add a teaspoon of sugar lets say, yeah, it will probably be lost in the mix. But as much sugar as most want in a 'scrub'... is quite a bit and it really can't mix at such high concentrations and stops once it has met it's threshold for absorption.

Look up how to make Rock Candy and you will see what I mean, lol. Not sure if i'm explaining right, nor do I claim to know this for a fact. But it makes sense to me anyways. :D

Once it hits warm shower water and is rubbed in, it will then disappear/melt. So if you really want scrubbing power be sure to use the larger crystal sugar and salts. I use a combination of both regular fine grain AND the larger. The smaller gives it it's body/heft and gentle exfoliation, the larger are the power horse scrubbies.

Here's the (slightly) more scientific explanation -- although Blazerina's was pretty good in my book! Any solution exists because molecules fit between other molecules due to molecular attraction. Whether the base is water or oil and you're adding sugar or salt, there will come a point in time when you add enough salt/sugar that the base just can't incorporate any more. The molecules just won't fit in between! Then the solution has reached a super-saturated state, and no matter how much you stir you can't get the "extra" to melt in. Adding heat to the mixture changes the game and allows for more sugar/salt to dissolve, but eventually you'll reach a limit there as well. The "extra" then becomes your srcubbies. :D

When you get in the shower and start scrubbing, you've added more water molecules for the extras to dissolve in, so the mixture is no longer super-saturated and you get meltage (my term).

It's the same principle as rock crystals / space crystals that are sold in kits. hope this makes sense and the science majors are forgiving -- it's been years since chemistry. ;)

• 4 weeks later...
I am feeling generous, LOL. Here's my recipe:

60% Sugar

12% Shea Butter

18.8% Oils

1.5% E Wax

5.4% Stearic

.7% Preservative

.6% Cetyl Alcohol

1% FO

This takes a full 24 hours to set up, so don't be fooled. Keep stirring it every now and then. After 24 hours, if it's too stiff, add some oil, too loose, add some sugar. I don't add the scent until the end.

I make this all the time. Everyone loves it.

e

Had to bump this thread up and comment on how WONDERFUL this recipe is! Thank you so much for posting it, e! I made some last night and it turned out fab! Creamy and scrubby - I impressed myself, LOL! Also thanks for the warning about the texture -- if you hadn't said that I would have worried about the consistency because it didn't get thick and creamy until a few hours after "birth."

Have you found that this holds up well over time? For maybe a few months? I'm going to let the batch I just made sit for awhile to see, but am curious about your experience with it.