Scent question for southerners

momtohaley2004

I hate to burst your bubble, but it is so hard to guess what will sell in a certain area. I do a handful of really big shows each year, each one in a different town. They will all have different best sellers. One show will sell out in bakery items. For another show, the fresh and clean scents kick butt. Then another, florals. To top it off, if one show is a crazy bakery show, then the next year I show up with bakery candles out the wazoo, they will want the florals! I have stopped trying to guess and just offer a variety. Three of my wholesale accounts are about 30 mins from each other. They are all the same type stores, but their best sellers are different as night and day.

You have a good selection on your site and a seemingly wide variety to choose from. If I could offer any suggestions, it would be to offer a few herbal/fresh smells (clean cotton, fresh linen, herbal blends, etc.).

I take around 80 scents with me to the shows. You never know what they will ask for. There are some people that are looking for off season stuff. Because all of the candlemakers are carrying what is in season, I alsways carry the others too. I sell a lot of candles that way. I do alot of Texas shows, and every one of them are different. Have you ever noticed when one person goes crazy over a certain scent, you soon sell out of that one. They want what the other guy has. Also what ever you are burning, have cases of it. Hope you do well.

Well, I tell you what. I'm just West of Houston and I can't sell a floral to save my life, and not many bakery scents too! I don't do craft shows any longer (too much heavy lifting for my back), but the scents I do sell regularly are:

Leather

Mexican Vanilla

Fresh Linen

Texas Storm

Gourmet Creme Brulee

Christmas Memories

Harvest

Sweet Orange & Chili Pepper

Hot Baked Apple Pie

Wrangler Butt (my proprietary blend and my best seller!)

Vanilla Bake

Southern Home

just a few I thought I'd throw out!

HTH:)

Carrie

Well, being from South Carolina (near Charleston), this is what sold well for me last Christmas:

Sugar Cookies

Magnolia Blossom

Pecan pie

Christmas Tree

Christmas Splendor

Mistletoe

Fresh Cut Roses

Apple Jack and Peel

Orange Spice

I think that was it! :)