problem with shrink wrap

cybersix

hi all, I have a lot of shrink wrap tubing bought from pakco.

well if I use the heat gun to shrink wrap my votibes/tarts melts. If I stay at a certain distance it doesn't shrink. If I use the hairdryer it won't shrink.

Also once cooled it seems hard, I can't break it and peel it off easily.

What do you use for shrink wrapping?

TIA

The stuff is hard but a quick snip and it peels pretty easy. Trust me I have unpeeled a lot. As for melting the big thing is to keep your heat gun moving so you are never on one spot more than a second. Shrinking takes practice but one you figure it out it goes pretty fast.

I can't shrink wrap. no matter how I try, the votives melts.

I checked the specs for my heat gun, can you tell me if it's too much heat?

it's 707 F on low, and 941 F on high.

How are yours? Is it too much?

I mean yes it's too much for a poor votive, not in general for heat guns lol!

• 1 month later...

Lord, I'm wasting money!!!! I can't get this to work - neither bag nor wrap. Using low setting on heat gun!!!!

I'm just about to pull my hair out!!!! Well, maybe not, then I couldn't sing, "You're so vain, I bet you think this song is about you, you're so vain..."

Anyhooooooo..... isn't there an easier way?

You are not alone! I have a basket sitting in the shop right now that I just have to get done for a shop, and I am afraid to shrink the bag. The last time I tried on my first basket for an auction, I did not succeed......ended up melting one spot. I ended up having to put it in another bag and just fold the sides in and under and tape with clear tape (turned out ok - could not really see the tape). What a pain! That bag was one that did not say shrink wrap but the Michael's workers said that it would shrink just like the ones that said shrink wrap. This one that I have now actually says "shrink" bag. I sure hope I can get it to work this time, but I am afraid to start......I only have one of these bags and then it would be back to the other kind of bag! :embarasse

for me - there are two types of shrink wrap. The stuff that is TOO thick, too brittle when it's heated and so hard that it really marks the surface of the wax.

The second type is MUCH thinner and really easy to work with. I have a roll of shrinkwrap that I bought about a year ago (I use it every day and the roll doesn't seem to be getting any smaller!) When I unroll the length I need, I can actually peel it apart to make a sheet twice the size that I pulled off the roll- the large sheet is folded in half BEFORE it's put on the roll. Does that make sense? Once it's unpeeled, it is about as thin and floppy as cling-film or saran wrap I think you call it in the USA?

This ultra thin shrink wrap is the only kind I can use. The 100 and 80 gauge you are talking about is just TOO hard for my liking. It feels too hard and crispy when it's fully shrunk and if you heat it just a LITTLE too long, it pushes into the wax, so when it's removed, the surface of the candle is really badly marked.

If you want to buy more shrink wrap - trying getting the absolutely THINNEST gauge you can get and you'll find it much much easier to work with.

for me - there are two types of shrink wrap. The stuff that is TOO thick, too brittle when it's heated and so hard that it really marks the surface of the wax.

The second type is MUCH thinner and really easy to work with. I have a roll of shrinkwrap that I bought about a year ago (I use it every day and the roll doesn't seem to be getting any smaller!) When I unroll the length I need, I can actually peel it apart to make a sheet twice the size that I pulled off the roll- the large sheet is folded in half BEFORE it's put on the roll. Does that make sense? Once it's unpeeled, it is about as thin and floppy as cling-film or saran wrap I think you call it in the USA?

This ultra thin shrink wrap is the only kind I can use. The 100 and 80 gauge you are talking about is just TOO hard for my liking. It feels too hard and crispy when it's fully shrunk and if you heat it just a LITTLE too long, it pushes into the wax, so when it's removed, the surface of the candle is really badly marked.

If you want to buy more shrink wrap - trying getting the absolutely THINNEST gauge you can get and you'll find it much much easier to work with.

Hi Nat, thanks for the explanation, can you give me more details about it? What should I look for?

I have a 100 gauge and it's exactly as you wrote, so I quit using it, but I don't know what I should search!

Thanks

I can't really explain what it is you should look for, so PM me your address and I will cut a large sample off my roll and send it to you, so you can see what I'm talking about.

Seriously, I've used probably enough of this shrink wrap to go round the world twice and the roll still doesn't look any smaller than it did when I got it, so I can definately spare you a large sample of it - just let me know and I'll get it in the post asap.

Nat

I actually prefer the higher heat setting. The trick is to use higher heat, so it shrinks in a shorter amount of time. If you are too cool, you'll have to heat your votive longer and that gives the wax time to melt. I promise, it is possible, and your votives won't melt.....it really does just take practice, so don't be discouraged and don't give up.

As for gauge, I use 100 & 80 gauge, but 80 gauge can be trickier, and I won't use anything thinner than that. 80 gauge takes a bit more finesse cuz if you heat too much it will shrink then seperate at the seams or simply melt a hole in it, but it works fine. Thinner than 80 gauge will also break down to FO's much quicker than heavier gauges, then you have sticky, tacky mess.

Okay, we bought the small shrink wrap bags from Walmart. Put the heating gun on low. Stayed about 6 inches away and zoned in a little at a time in a circular motion.

15 gifts bags and they look great!

Of course, I had nothing to do with it. That's probably why! :laugh2:

None of the shrink wrap I saw had any way of telling what gauge it was. I looked and never found anything.

I can tell you not to be buy the stuff at a dollar store - it is terrible and a waste of money!

Hobby Lobby's shrink wrap bags were a little thicker than Walmart and didn't do as well.

Viva la Walmart!!!!! :yay:

I use the 100 gauge PVC Shrink Tubing from Packco with tarts and use top and bottom labels, haven't done any votives, though, which would be more difficult to hide any melt spots. I use the Wagner heat gun from Walmart, set on low. I wear a soft cloth, thinner type garden glove (from Walmart) on the hand not holding the heat gun. The glove deflects some of the heat as you're moving the heat gun 'round and 'round. The glove allows you to shape the wrapping around the tart or votive as you put heat to it, without burning your fingers and helps protect the shrink wrap. I wouldn't try shrink wrapping without my glove. Occasionally the glove gets a little too hot, so I take it off a few seconds to cool (LOL).

That's my technique and might not work for everyone, but it works great for me. The gloves are cheap, so you might try this before giving up on the shrink wrap you have on hand. I personally wouldn't want anything thinner than the 100 gauge for my tarts. It will hold the scent in longer than the 80 gauge since it's a little thicker.

Forget to mention: After I seal both ends of the tubing, I use a safety pin to punch a small hole through the tubing on each side of the tart. The allows air to escape when you put the heat gun to it and the wrapping will mold to the wax easier and faster.

Just reread your post and saw you don't have a Walmart in Italy. I don't know the specs on my heat gun (just looked and can't find the manual and box it came in). All I can tell you is that it says 1200 watts on the heat gun itself.