Customers wanting to know how you make your products???

CrystalClear

How do you politely tell them that it's impolite to ask and to bugger off? :D

I got a phone call today from a customer that was so "intrigued and fascinated" with my products and wanted to know my process and how to go about making them. :o:angry2: I mean..she wanted to know what wax I use, what scents, how I go about making my dipped animals...etc...EVERYTHING!

She THEN tells me that she used to make crafts and did craft shows but she didn't make anything that really made her jump up and down, but when she saw my stuff Saturday, she got really excited. :shocked2:

When you get asked this, what do you say?

I find that most people just ask...well, I don't know why. They really don't seem to want to know. To these people I usually just say that I mix wax, color and scent...That usually satisfies them.

For those who are persistent, I will tell them that I don't give out my sources. And I gladly refer them to the book by Betty Oppenheimer: the Candlemaker's Companion. They usually stop there since they have to look stuff up and read!

HTH. Good luck!

I'd just thank her for the compliment and tell her you look forward to her return patronage. IF she would persist to ask about your stuff, she used to do crafts right? It wouldn't be fair of you to ask her about her crafts. But sometimes it might be better to be clueless.

Then again we did have a customer who was disappointed that our label didn't include where we got our stuff from ... and I think the response to her was "and it never will," followed by a polite grin.

Was someone reading my mind? This just happened to me. I was polite and told her that I had to spend countless hours researching and that my recipes were family recipes that had been passed down to me. My Grandmother was the town midwife and Dr. (when he could not be found.)

I told her if she was interested in making soaps and candles to go to AC Moores or Micheals and invest in a kit to see if this is something she wants to do before she sinks money in something. She thanked me and I left. :)

This was a great post. I have that happen all the time at shows. My regular customers I deliver to do not ask. They just want to buy them and are glad they don't have to fool with making them.

I always tell them that I order my supplies online. That could be from a number of sources and then I explain to them that it is not something that you can just do overnight. They are usually like really...duh :shocked2: . I don't go much farther than that.

When that ask if it is hard. I just explain that you have to do lots of testing and invest a lot of money to find the right jar, wick, wax, scents for yourself.

That usually works for me. When you involve the fact that I have to test them and quite a bit of money they back off. It seems like to much for them.

I think maybe they are curious at first and then they think...hhhmmm...I could do this. Once you tell them a little they are like ooohhh wow, nevermind, lol.

When that ask if it is hard. I just explain that you have to do lots of testing and invest a lot of money to find the right jar, wick, wax, scents for yourself.

That usually works for me. When you involve the fact that I have to test them and quite a bit of money they back off. It seems like to much for them.

I think maybe they are curious at first and then they think...hhhmmm...I could do this. Once you tell them a little they are like ooohhh wow, nevermind, lol.

Yeah...Nobody knows how much money they can spend doing this!*faint* *faint* *faint* Plus, I really think they have no idea of the time involved. You just hit the nail on the head, SS.

Here's the thing: When the lady CALLED (I still can't believe she had the guts to actually CALL me at home to ask), I told her how many years I've been doing this, how much money I have invested (not an amount, just a lot haha), time, testing...etc. And she STILL wanted to know my process and how to go about doing it. She was very persistent!

This was the most persistent person I have ever dealt with. Usually others will ask, and when I give em my schpeel, they are like "Wow..ok...nevermind."

Ugh..just so frustrating!

I doubt you would lose any business or even they would be able to replicate your product lol without spending at least double what you did to get to the point your at. Lmao its funny i have a friend who also makes candles and we have tried to replicate each others candles by the generic terms we give each other and they come out messed up comparatively. I know personally i tell people how they are made i just dont tell them exactly what wick wax or any of the normal procedures.

I have posted this before, but here it goes again. I sweetly say I am flattered and that I would be more than willing to be a candle consultant for them. I tell them that I will give them a demo, let them know all of my suppliers, show them how to keep records, teach them about safety, testing,etc.,. I then tell them since I spent so much time an money researching it on my own prior to going into business, that my consulting fee is $500 and hour and that it will take numerous, NUMEROUS hours to school them on everything. If I am feeling really saucy, I might smile, tip my head and say "So when do ya wanna start?" It has never gone much past that. :)

I just had a friend of a friend actually ask me how much it cost to start my business, and that she wanted to start a "Simple" business like mine. I was speechless. I am really proud of the business that my sister and I built and think it is a little more than simple. Then she proceded to tell me that people have been asking her to make her potato salad for them, but that would take up too much time for her, that she wanted something much easier like soy candles. I told her to maybe buy a kit online and wished her luck. Soon she will be eating crow with her fabulous potato salad.

Guest Candelishis
I just had a friend of a friend actually ask me how much it cost to start my business, and that she wanted to start a "Simple" business like mine. I was speechless. I am really proud of the business that my sister and I built and think it is a little more than simple. Then she proceded to tell me that people have been asking her to make her potato salad for them, but that would take up too much time for her, that she wanted something much easier like soy candles. I told her to maybe buy a kit online and wished her luck. Soon she will be eating crow with her fabulous potato salad.

Ahhhhhhh HAHAHAHAHA Oh I love silly people.....it would take too much time to make potato salad??? Puh-Lease!! And a sack of potatoes and a jar of mustard is cheap! I've spent a few thousand dollars on my "simple" business. I used to get really mad at my mom and my aunts, when they would say "wow, you're really getting into this little hobby of yours"...My mom came and helped me out at a craft show recently, and after going down to the basement to my "mad scientist lab", and seeing everything I have going on, and seeing how much money I made at that craft fair...she shut up real quick. If she hadn't, I would have told her to come and help me test out some new stuff next time I get some. That would have worked. She actually thought I bought a few pounds of wax at a time and microwaved it...ha.ha.ha. My grandma got "inspired" by my undertaking when I started, and melted down all her old 1/2 inch candles, and put crayons in them for color, poured them into baby food jars, and said "look I can make candles too"...Yeah, ok, grandma....let's see how it burns.... Then she, too, saw my work area and inventory, and has been bragging to all her friends about her granddaughter, "the successful entrepreneur"...once people realize how hard we work on stuff, and how much time, effort, energy, and brainpower goes into this, they're shocked. Wow, that felt good to rant a little bit... :D

I have also posted this before..

When "those" type of people keep bugging me, especially at a craft show...

I say here... Let me write down a website for you that may help you out.

I write down www.smellypoop.com, fold over the paper and hand it to them.

Usually, they do no bother me again.. :D

ROFLMAO....Yes, I had to click on the site. Toooo funny!

quote: "I used to get really mad at my mom and my aunts, when they would say "wow, you're really getting into this little hobby of yours"...

I have to deal with this too. Someday they'll see. All the bags under my eyes and all the 2 or 3am testing nights should give them a clue.

Shari

Ahhhhhhh HAHAHAHAHA Oh I love silly people.....it would take too much time to make potato salad??? Puh-Lease!! And a sack of potatoes and a jar of mustard is cheap! I've spent a few thousand dollars on my "simple" business. I used to get really mad at my mom and my aunts, when they would say "wow, you're really getting into this little hobby of yours"...My mom came and helped me out at a craft show recently, and after going down to the basement to my "mad scientist lab", and seeing everything I have going on, and seeing how much money I made at that craft fair...she shut up real quick. If she hadn't, I would have told her to come and help me test out some new stuff next time I get some. That would have worked. She actually thought I bought a few pounds of wax at a time and microwaved it...ha.ha.ha. My grandma got "inspired" by my undertaking when I started, and melted down all her old 1/2 inch candles, and put crayons in them for color, poured them into baby food jars, and said "look I can make candles too"...Yeah, ok, grandma....let's see how it burns.... Then she, too, saw my work area and inventory, and has been bragging to all her friends about her granddaughter, "the successful entrepreneur"...once people realize how hard we work on stuff, and how much time, effort, energy, and brainpower goes into this, they're shocked. Wow, that felt good to rant a little bit... :D

Everything I want to say has been said right here. :yes:

Hey next time ask them if they have a top secret security clearance and if not, sorry you can't tell them lol

Thankfully I've not had to deal with this yet. My friends and family who test for me just love my stuff and just buy more and like someone said, glad they dont have to make it. Most of them already know the time and money invested in it and are happy just being able to get it and leave it at that.