Soy Wax Frosting After First Burn

Dawn, what type of wax, additives, FO, dye, wick & size and melting/pouring temps? There is loads of information about frosting in these threads! Whether the frosting occurs initially, or after burning, its causes and solutions are the same.

I also note that you said you made the candles yesterday, then did a test burn. Personally, I would not even attempt a test burn on a newly made soy wax candle, especially one under 48 hours old! It takes a little time for the newly formed wax crystals to fully harden before lighting! How long did you burn the candle?

I am using EZ soy with no additives. I have 1 oz pumpkin FO to one pound wax. I am using the eco8 wick, which is what BC reccomends. I melted the wax to 175 added one dye chip. Added FO at 120 and poured around 100 degrees. It burned for about 3 hours.

I will wait to burn the rest then. I just have no patience and they smell soooo good. :D

I'm also thinking there might be something wrong with my digital thermometer. Anyone know an easy way to see if it is keeping the correct temp? Thanks.

Dawn

If testing for wicks and not throw, I will do a test burn the next day or so. Also, soy frosts and sometimes, it can not be avoided. It does not hurt the burn, throw or overall quality of the candle; it is just cosmetic. EZSoy is notorious for frosting too. You can add some BW to help reduce it. 1-5%. Anything over 5% will usually result in your wax cracking and you having to wick up. For most, the average is 3%. Since frosting often times can not be avoided with soy, just educate your customers on the characteristics of soy.

I'm also thinking there might be something wrong with my digital thermometer. Anyone know an easy way to see if it is keeping the correct temp? Thanks.

Dawn

Someone just posted on how to test your therm in ice water...can't find the dang post now, but I think it was to fill a glass with ice, add water and insert the therm for 30 secs and it should read 32 degress. Look for the post...don't go by my memory!!