Struggling to find and size piccies for canes

Hi

I want to make some picture hurricanes, esp. christmas ones, but I'm really struggling finding the pictures and then sizing them!

I'll mostly be using a mold where the piccie needs to be 7cm (w) x 10.25cm (h).

I've saved some piccies, but when I insert them into a border and try and resize them, they go all distorted.

I'm losing the will to live here!

Are there certain places to find your piccies, and a knack to finding them in the right size as I don't seem to be able to resize them, complete technophobe that I am ;)

thanks

Sometimes the picture will not fit to the shape you want - if it is square to begin with, it will not resize into a rectangle without being stretched too much in one direction... Try to choose images close to the shape that you need for best results. Sometimes you can drop an image that is not the right shape into a border that is the correct size... Sometimes cropping the image to remove excess white space will help you achieve the basic shape you need. HTH :)

If you Google for Free Christmas images, you will find a zillion! Dover Publicatons has some very nice seasonal clipart. :)

Check the back of those Christmas cards and you will probably find a copywrite symbol.

Wick'n'Wax, do you have a digital camera? Did it come with a photo editing program? I long for Photshop, but I make do with my very simple editing program from the camera. I don't size the picture, I just tell it to print at 4" tall (or whatever). I let it proportionally set the other dimension.

Georgia, come on...............

Do you REALLY think that Hallmark, American Greeting, or whatever, is going to mess around with little crafters like us using their "old" christmas cards??

You can see them used in just about all arts and crafts world wide.........

If someone used one of their images and became a millionaire doing it, I could see them having an issue, but placing them on a candle to sell at a craft show????? Not............

Check the back of those Christmas cards and you will probably find a copywrite symbol.
Awww, crap - you are absolutely right, Georgia. THANKS for the 'heads up" rreminder!! If these are for personal use or personal gifts, it would be allowable; but if they are for sale, it is copyright infringement.

Don, Georgia is correct. You might want to search the forums for other discussions of copyright issues - you'd be amazed at how the Big Boyz will come after little guys with no money for attorneys.

When in doubt, I ask myself, "Did I design this?" If the answer is "No," then I ask myself, "Do I have permission from the copyright holder to use the design?" If the answer is again, "No," I sigh and do not use it. There is no law against drawing your own design inspired by another, however, so long as it is sufficiently unique.

I scan my photos or whatever. Then to fix them quickly I have Picasa installed on my computer. It is free. It will automatically store any pictures you have EVER had on your computer. Then just click on a picture and export it to your picture file. It shows you how to resize it and you can go to print and preview the size. You can do a little color fixing and shading too. I always print a 1/4" black border around my photos. Then I cut about 1/4' around that. It makes it looked "framed" instead of just a white piece of paper for the border. It allows me enough room so that the picture sits up a little (about 1/2") from the bottom of the mold. And it is straight and even. Donita

http://www.picasa-2008.net/download.php?lang=US

You can just to to format on your computer and go to frame and shadow. There you can create any size or color of frame.

If you so a search on copyright free pictures, Christmas, Birthday, etc. you will find thousands and thousands. You just have to do the work. Dover is excellent. I have been getting their catalogs since 1982. They have many many copyright free designs. There are some old pictures available that the copyrights have run out on. Antique Christmas post cards are some of those. I do however save old Christmas and other cards to make little boxes for soap or other gifts. I don't sell them but it is a fun way to recycle. I plan to do some pressed flower designs and then photocopying them for embedding in candles. I am doing them on my own home made recycled paper with corn stalks added for strength and texture. It came out very well. The handmade paper would not hold up to the hot wax and I need the 24# bright white to embed, so the next best thing will be a photo copy of my artwork. I am using this for Christmas cards as well as hurricanes for gifts or maybe even sell. I have done a bunch of round papers using embroidery hoops that are about 4" in diameter....if I can find a way to keep them straight in a cane they should look pretty darn cute. A cool idea..... I just at this moment came up with..... something fun. Make the round paper then put little pieces of fern around the edges forming a wreath....then add some flowers here and there and perhaps make a bow out of petals. I think it would be a great Christmas or holiday card/hurricane embed. It could also be a nice fall wreath using autumn leaves......if only I had the time to make all of the things I think of........no such luck. Donita

http://desktoppub.about.com/cs/holidaysfallwinter/qt/xmascards.htm I just found this on About.com