Secrets to removing wick pins?

Does anybody have a good secret to removing wick pins from votives? Ughh every votive I make looks great when it comes out of the mold! Then I go to take the wick pin out and I wreck them!! I use Ecosoy pillar blend and I have to tap them really hard and break them! I spray the wick pins and mold with mold release? any tips!! TIA.

Here is my secret I have not cracked one in a couple of years. Leave them in the cup first make sure they are not all the way cool I usually pop them about 2 1/2 to 3 hours after making them. Turn the whole cup over and tap the pin pretty hard on something solid I have a 1/4 metal stand I use. Then I push the pin out.

Watch tomorrow I will crack one after saying this.

I'm the Queen of Dixie Cups, but I remember giving metal molds a go. What I did: grasp the wick pin w/ needle-nose pliers & pull the candle out of the mold - about 20 mins of freezer time makes this easier. Turn the candle upside down, hold on to the candle & push the wick pin into your counter -- it pushes the pin right out. Grasp the wick pin & pull it out. For me, getting the candle out of the mold was the hard part & popping that wick pin was easy.

HTH -- Susan.

We use a tealight candle and heat the bottom of the pin for about 3-5 seconds, the pin pulls right out and have never had a votive become disfigured form the heat. Just heat the bottom long enough to release it from the votive....it takes practice but once you master it, it's easy. JMHO

I was looking for an alternative to the tapping the wick pin out! :)

DH slammed the spindle on the counter and bent some of them causing off-center wicks the next batch! And I don't even want to think about handing him a sharp obect to pry the base (lol). Thanks for this tip!