Attaching wicks to jars for palm wax

I use the heat gun with high temp glue - be sure it is high temp - and have no problem with wicks coming loose. To get wicks straight - guess this is what you are talking about. I make a template of my jar - just put it on a piece of paper and draw around the jar bottom, then take jar off and measure where you want your wicks to go. Draw a little circle for the wick or wicks. When you put the jar on top of template then you know where to put your wicks. hth

For palm, I also use high temp glue sticks. BUT, I try to put my wicks in at least a couple hours ahead of time. I know the glue sets up quicker than that. I just prefer to give it the extra "set" time.

To center the wick, I use wick centering tools. I pull the wick up tight and use a clothespin to hold it secure. You can also use a binder clip. I get mine at Hobby Lobby. Here is a link for them:

http://tinyurl.com/3aktq6

I start setting my wicks at least 8 hours before pouring. Glue guns are sometimes cumbersome for me - and I hate those little strings. Guess I need to practice my method more. However, I have found that using GE silicone caulk has worked wonderfully for me. You need to read the back and be sure to get the one that says NOT FOR: "Surfaces that will exceed 400 degrees."

There has been some controversy about using this stuff. I, personally, set the wicks while sitting outdoors and do not believe the brief exposure is enough to do damage. I keep them on the porch for a couple of hours and then bring them in and start pouring the next day! Never had a wick slip yet!

PM if you have any questions.

Since I started using the wick stickers from Candlemaker's Store, I haven't had a wick pop up in anything...soy, palm or blends. Not even in tins and that was my biggest problem before. I heat my containers (which seems to help with the adhesion process), wick and pour.