Could this be possible

Had a show this past weekend. I saw a man there selling soy candles. They were 8 oz jars. They were in a jar that looked like a canning jar. I being the noisey person that I am, and wanting to check out my competition. Went up and asked him. How much are these? He tells me they are 100% soy and are $5.00 a piece or 5 for $20.00. I went back to my booth and told my husband. We both are stumped. How could he sell that cheap?? I bettcha they were not 100%soy What does everyone else thinK???

That's interesting. About a year ago I saw a couple big guys selling soy candles at a local festival. It looked kind of funny as big and burley as they were. Couldn't picture them burning a candle of their own. But, they were 8 oz JJ, same prices, 5 for $20. They had the sales pitch too. Anyone that approached heard all the benefits of soy. They must have had 50 scents or so.

That happens a lot if you figure as a normal retail which is only double your cost. They are not giving the proper mark up you will see that a lot with people that just don't understand manufacturing versus wholesale. As a manufacturers we mark up 3 to 4 times so we can wholesale at 2 times. So they are basically giving the general public wholesale pricing.

Had a show this past weekend. I saw a man there selling soy candles. They were 8 oz jars. They were in a jar that looked like a canning jar. I being the noisey person that I am, and wanting to check out my competition. Went up and asked him. How much are these? He tells me they are 100% soy and are $5.00 a piece or 5 for $20.00. I went back to my booth and told my husband. We both are stumped. How could he sell that cheap?? I bettcha they were not 100%soy What does everyone else thinK???

Why would they not be 100% soy. You can get soy cheap depending on where you live and the canning jars are cheap also. I can make an 8oz jelly jar for $2.00 w/ 100% soy, fo, jar(lid comes w/ it), wick and label.

I'll take the $3.00 profit because i'm not sure that i could sell an 8oz candle for more than $5.00 in this area.

CindyS- I'm sure it wasn't the same people that we saw-or maybe it was, but it looked like pure soy to me. I think they had such a great sales pitch and people liked finding something they could afford, my guess was that they made a profit based on volume of sales. The candles weren't particularly attractive IMO, but even so, 5 for $20 caught my eye!

The flea markets in my area sell the 16 oz mason jar candles for $5 - $7. I know a few of them use quality oils because they were willing to talk to me about it and named off some of the suppliers like NG, bittercreek etc. They are using soy as well. Soy is more inexpensive than parasoy or paraffin.

What they can sell for, all comes down to what they are willing to settle for with mark up. One guy told me he was willing to sell 100 candles a weekend for $5 than 30 candles a weekend for $8 because it means he was reaching more people to get his company out there. He felt the reorders made up for it. I see it as creating alot of work for very little profit. Everyone has different priorities I suppose. I factor in the time, utilities etc to make mine. I would like to think that some of the mark up goes towards recouping the time and supplies for testing. It might take me 20 years to do that though :laugh2:

I've had the same problem. There are some people selling 16oz Mason jar soy candles for 3.50. I order my supplies so I can't sell them for that price. Not to mention adding something for my time and effort. I was told that there is a site that sells bulk candles such as the jelly jar, mason and even palm VERY cheap with no labels and the purchaser just puts on their label and sells them. Maybe that's where they are getting them:confused: I'd rather make mine, that way I know exactly what went into them and what wicks were used.

That's interesting. About a year ago I saw a couple big guys selling soy candles at a local festival. It looked kind of funny as big and burley as they were. Couldn't picture them burning a candle of their own. But, they were 8 oz JJ, same prices, 5 for $20. They had the sales pitch too. Anyone that approached heard all the benefits of soy. They must have had 50 scents or so.

I think it was the same people. Its very interesting all the opions. I have to have all my supplys shipped to me. So I have to add that to my prices.

Hmmm. My wife and I looked long and hard for a good, unique container, and spent much in time and resources for the right fragrances, etc. just like we all do. It would seem our manufacturing costs are at about the $3 mark, and is kind of the 'sound barrier', as it were, until we grow enough to get those 1,800 pound pallets direct, and mega-thousands of $$ for glassware. I sell my 8 oz. for $7, and the 11 oz. for $12, and my tins for $4.50. Nobody gripes, but I feel weird charging that much. Yes, this is a labor of love, but momma always said, "Love don't put food on the table." I want this to be out sole source of income someday, and I therefore watch closely the major competitors' pricing on SOY only, ignoring paraffin pricing, since we're soy. I am not interested in making 50 to 90 cents per candle.

Interesting to note, however, in my area, people look at hand-crafted items and EXPECT to pay more. Selling on the cheap makes people think the products are cheap as well, and even thought you "poured" your very heart and soul into making the very best.

I sell mine for 8 oz. 9.99 and 16 oz. 17.99. I have a special for 4 oz. for 4.00 right now and I tell them its a great bathroom size or a basket gift.

People will pay your price especially if they know its homemade. Look at those party plans, Party Light, Salt City, Gold Canyon, those prices are much higher and people pay for those. Those companies are everywhere too.

I saw one too at a craft show here of soy for the 5 for 20.00. To me that is a show special. But in my opinion I'd rather make a better profit than 2.00 a jar for all the hard work.

I used to hear that all the time in the salon as I do nails also. About the discount shops and what they charge but yet I can charge 50-55 for a full set of nails.

That is interesting. I went to a show this past weekend and it sounds like the same vendor. the prices caught my eye too. The vendor I saw has a website so I checked it out. Well on the website it says you can dip your fingers in the melted soy wax candle. Dumb idea. Aside from being dangerous I'm sure not all of their fragrances are skin safe.

That is interesting. I went to a show this past weekend and it sounds like the same vendor. the prices caught my eye too. The vendor I saw has a website so I checked it out. Well on the website it says you can dip your fingers in the melted soy wax candle. Dumb idea. Aside from being dangerous I'm sure not all of their fragrances are skin safe.

Might be a dumb idea but i tell my friends and family that too. Because its good to know if it spills on you its not gonna burn.

Like candlebuddy said I too price my candles depending on whom I am selling to. Think about it people that buy yank and salt and so on candles they are used to paying for good smelling candles so if yours are just as good or better then you should be proud to sell yours at just a lower price then the other companies for quality. Some people have the mind set if its too inexpensive, it cant be good.

Why would they not be 100% soy. You can get soy cheap depending on where you live and the canning jars are cheap also. I can make an 8oz jelly jar for $2.00 w/ 100% soy, fo, jar(lid comes w/ it), wick and label.

I'll take the $3.00 profit because i'm not sure that i could sell an 8oz candle for more than $5.00 in this area.

I hear the part of not being able to get more than $5.00 in this area either. But I think after paying almost $50.00 to ship two cases of wax to me I'm gonna try to raise the price (even just a little).

I've been reading this thread for the past couple days. It's applicable to me as I am having my first craft fair on this coming Saturday, and I'm worried about my prices.

When I first started out, I had no clue what to charge, and thought that double my cost was sufficient. It fast became obvious that I was undercutting my profits (and I was selling mostly on Ebay so I was really getting killed on fees). By year's end last year, after getting my final Ebay bill for the year, I realized I had broken even. That's when I took a break and started to rethink things...

When I started marketing to local retailers, it became clear that my prices were wholesale.... so I had to take a leap of faith and raise my prices in order to attract wholesalers. I can't have one site for wholesale and one retail with the same prices.... What would be the point in shops buying from me and marking up their prices on my candles if I were able to sell them for half that?

So I raised my prices on my website. I was worried my customers would go away. They didn't, although the ones who I sold to really cheap have sort of dropped off. But really, a 2-3 dollar profit per jar, being sold on Ebay, doesn't equate, so it's not worth it, especially once Ebay & Paypal fees are factored into the equation.

Now I really only sell clearance items on Ebay, like summer scents! That way if need be, I can make some money back if I need a case of wax or to pay a bill.

I'm just hoping people won't shy away from my prices at the fair. But I believe I have a quality product, I have worked my butt off, have invested a lot of time and money into this business, and if there are those who don't appreciate it, I guess they can keep buying off of Ebay. I have bought a soy candle off Ebay- couldn't even barely smell it. Mine are much better, in my opinion.

And I'll have a few clearance items to attract some, plus some deals, like buy 4 jars get one free, etcetera. My mark-up is just high enough to absorb the freebie without taking a loss- I'll still profit.

I guess the way you go about marketing is key, right?

I've also printed out coupons with my name, website and number, offering 15% off their next order. I've taken a lot of tips from the craft show ideas listed on CT.

I am nervous as hell, though!

Off to pump out some tealights- I ran outta wicks on Saturday so had to wait til they came in today. Then pack up my candles make some more votives and take a deep breath!!!

Thanks for all the postings. They've given me some encouragement.

Violet :)