Mall Kiosk for the Holiday Season?

EmpressC

I read a couple of threads on this topic but they were from last year, so I am wondering is anyone considering doing anything at the mall? I am seriously considering this as I have the time (and hopefully the energy), will just depend on if I can get a loan in order to buy enough supplies.

BruceCarvesWax's name came up in the other posts that he does this every year. Does anyone else? Is it worth it? I am still somewhat a newbie, but like I said I have the time to devote to making products 24/7 from now until November. I figure that way I could focus on selling and wouldn't have to hire help but maybe have family step in from time to time.

I know it would be A LOT of work but I think it would be worth it. Any ideas/advice/caveats?

Thanx.

I was going to do one at our local mall, but the wouldn't let me because WixnStix has a contract with the mall not allowing any competition. The stores in the mall can sell candles but they couldn't have more than 1/4 of their space in candles. BathnBody Works has the same contact at a few other malls. I couldn't sell lotions, soaps, candles etc. So check with the mall and check out their policies.. It pays off if you can afford the space and get in. Good Luck!

We have an in-line store in a mall and have had for three years. Every year all available spaces fill up with carts/kiosks from Oct througjh Dec. There is always one or two candle/soap setups. Lots of the people pull out before the end of the first month. We see very few of the same people come back each year. The rent is tough. $1800 for Oct, $3000 for Nov and $5000 for Dec plus 10% of gross receipts. Seeing different people try it each year should tell you something. It's tough to sell enough products through a small space and put anything in your pocket after rent and cost of goods. And thats 11 - 14 hours a day (no labor costs). We see some make it who have unique products that no one else has.