CP Kits.........

RXCMAS

I am going to order a CP Kit from southern belle. It comes with all the oils and lard i think and a frer mold except the lye anerd one other oil. Oh no dye and FO either. It costs about i think 35- 40 something. If i want to up the kit to get the FO and Dye it will run up to 50-60 dollars. Can anyone tell me if it is a good deal or should i go out and buy the oils myself and order the FO and Dye online? Has anyone ever ordered their CP Kit? I think this kit gives you 2lbs of soap all together. Sorry for the typos earlier. I had the wrong company mixed up.

Thank you all for the posted messages and suggestions for me. I figured that the CP kit from southern belle was too much. I think it would be best to get everything myself from the market. Thank you and keep the comments coming. You guys are wonderful.

Stacey

It is a GREAT starter kit and a good value. There are two choices, one with the dyes and one without. They both come with everything you need, oils, FO (they pick one, you pick one), the mold (great prelined wooded log mold with a cover), etc.....it has enough to make two 2 lb batches and the mold is VERY nice. All you need to add is the lye, water and equipment. They have great customer service as well and I highly recommend them.

Liquid soap dyes are expensive, I didn't get it because I already had dyes, but if you need some I say go for it.

Good luck!

http://www.southernbellesoaps.com/

That sounds like a decent deal. I have the 2lb soap mold from them and like it. :)

Thanks so much for the info,,,I have to get into this soap business,,my grandmother did it and I loved watching her,,,I would also like to learn so I can add it to my business,,,,it looks like fun,,,DH is like "Oh No" LOL...:rolleyes2 I love all this addiction!!!!!!!;)

Okay , I really think that if you want to make cp soap , you should start as inexpesively as possible. When I started I made my soap in a lined shoebox with oils all bought at the grocery store. You could go to the millers site and get recipes there that are very inexpensive. If you decide it is something you want to continue to do, I think the southern belle molds are great and would buy one, but I think the starter kit is too expensive for what you get, plus paying shipping. Robin's tutorial is great, you can print that out and study it, it has all the info you need to make cp soap. JMHO

I looked at the link TexasBrat gave. It says all the ingredients you need plus a mold are in there, you just need to get your own lye. It didn't say if all the equipment you need are in there though e.g. gloves, goggles, thermometers, pH strips. Granted most of us have this stuff already, but maybe not. It is hard to know if buying the individual ingredients yourself would end up cheaper than buying the kit, because the individual ingredients do not come in such small sizes e.g. shea butter will come in 1 lb or more, not 2 oz. I tend to agree with Cindym that you may be better off finding your own ingredients, because all you're left with from the kit after you're done making the 20 bars of soap (the 2 2-lb batches it yields) is the mold. Obviously more research will need to be done, but then that's important if you're embarking on a new project. Besides you should already have a cupboard full of FO's if you make candles, so that would be one less expense.

I thought about buying a kit from them too, but they were missing something in there kit. They don't have any lye in their kit, :sad2: and lye is pretty scarce in my area, so I think I may go with a kit I saw on www.crabapplesoap.com they have everything except a scale, it includes a 3lb mold, lye (already measured), safety goggles & glasses, an instructional video tape, and other things. The price is 89.00 :shocked2: without the stick blender which is an extra 15.00 bucks. I've been comtemplating between the 2 companies and can't make up mind for nothing.

I've heard really nice things about southernbelle so I'm sure you probably won't go wrong getting a kit from them. If you decided to go with them let me know how you like their kit.

Good Luck:) :)

The website is not coming up. Can you see what is happening, I would like to check the site out. Thank you

I thought about buying a kit from them too, but they were missing something in there kit. They don't have any lye in their kit, :sad2: and lye is pretty scarce in my area, so I think I may go with a kit I saw on www.crabapplesoap.com they have everything except a scale, it includes a 3lb mold, lye (already measured), safety goggles & glasses, an instructional video tape, and other things. The price is 89.00 :shocked2: without the stick blender which is an extra 15.00 bucks. I've been comtemplating between the 2 companies and can't make up mind for nothing.

I've heard really nice things about southernbelle so I'm sure you probably won't go wrong getting a kit from them. If you decided to go with them let me know how you like their kit.

Good Luck:) :)