Wicks Going Out, Please Help

I Have Been Making Candles For About A Year Now. So Far I Am Still In The Testing, Testing, Testing Phase. I Use Gw464 Soy. All Of The Sudden I Am Having Problems With My Wicks Snuffing Out In The Wax. I Don't Believe I Have Done Anything Different. I Have Tried Using Less Fo And Dye, But Am Still Having Problems With Candles That I Have Never Had Problems With Before. Any Help???

Sorry to hear that your having trouble. Working with soy is a challenge and wicking it can be a major PITA.

It's hard to say what could be going wrong for you because there are so many variables to consider. It sounds like you might be experiencing some variables due to your wicking, dunno, I could be wrong...

First, let me ask you this...Have you changed where you are buying your wicks from? If so, wicks can vary from supplier to supplier. I have noticed in my tests that burn results can vary depending on what the wick is primed with. Most wick suppliers will tell you that the coating/priming on the wick makes no difference at all, however, I disagree. In one of my tests, I burned side by side, 415 pure soy tealights with LX wicking, some with an LX8 primed with a 212F high melt point paraffin and some with an LX8 primed with a veggie wax. The tealights with the paraffin coated wicks burned longer, (45 minutes longer) than the tealights with the veggie coated wicks, big difference in my book. I'm no expert but over the past year the one thing that I have noticed is there CAN be a difference in burn results depending on what your wick is primed with. Personally, I no longer trust what different suppliers tell me about what their wicks are primed with and some won't even tell you. I've called the same supplier several times asking about what their wicks are primed with and have gotten different answers, that did it for me, I simply decided to go with raw wicking and prime/tab my own wicks to avoid that possible variable. Some will say that self assembling your own wicking is a PITA and is not worth the time and thats okay, what works for one might not work for another. There are so many variables with soy, you might as well avoid all variables possible to make it a little easier.

Please know that these are just my own personal opinions based on my own personal experiences and in no way do I have the experience that a lot of others have on this board. We're all learning and we have to start somewhere. Don't be afraid or intimidated to ask questions. CT is a great resource full of valuable information for candle makers whether you are new or seasoned.

Have fun and try not to get discouraged!!!

It must be the year for probs. A few of my fall scents that I am doing again this year are NOT working like they did last year. I use Eco wicks and they are drowning out (or tunneling) more then they are actually working. I have been using some CD's and having better luck with them. I have one FO that I am pulling my hair out over....I have tried 8 different wicks and none have worked ...they either drown out or are too hot! If this wasn't my best seller last year I would toss it...LOL

I've been having problems too. Haven't changed a thing in 6 years...have always used GB415, CD wicks and get my FO's from the same suppliers as I always have.

Bought new cases of wax, changed wicks and was still having problems.

I even went a step further and changed jars...went from an 8oz jj to a 9oz salsa jar.

For some reason changing jars was what worked for me.

Yes, it is a new box of wax. I am using 8 and 16 apothocary jars and lx20 and htp 83 wicks, double wicked. A couple of days ago i tried pouring a new candle with lx22's. I tested it this morning and one of the wicks went out AGAIN!!!! I am going to try some cd's today, I really don't know what else to do, exspecially after everything had been working fine. I purchase by gw464, fo, dye and wicks from Alabaster Candle Supply. They told me yesterday that they have heard that the liquid dye is better to use and that no more than one pound of fragrance oil per pound of wax was needed. I have been using the block dye and about 1.5 pound of fo pp of wax. Any other ideas? I did buy a new box of wax, should i just throw away all my other candles and start over?:confused:

i'm having trouble this year also, after 6-7yrs. it's either the wax,( i use gb 415) or the weather. i'm really thinking it's the wax, because the house is air conditioned. scents that i have wicked for years the same way are now drowning out. i plan on calling the supplier monday to see if anybody else is having problems with the 415.

I think I've seen this a few times with a couple of different soys. For some reason certain batches are wick killers and burn crappy. If I had to make candles out of this stuff on a regular basis I'd shoot myself in the face. Unfortunately the problems in a bad batch seem to carry over when you blend it into a parasoy.

I am also having some problems after 5 years. Not major but always had my wicks to work.

A couple it was I trimmed wick to low.Then the problem started.Once I did that it was a low flame.So my problem I guess.

The next time it was Coconut Lime Verbena. That problem started out burning low and thought need to wick up(probably still do) but about a 1/3 way through the candle was fine.

So I am confused when not necessarily the wick or wax problem.Not 100%. Decisions

Will remember to tell people "Trim the wicks BUT not real low". I forget to mention trim wicks because most of the time I don't but when I do sometimes to low. :shocked2:

LynnS

Keep them trimmed to 1/4". There are a variety of candle trimmers out there that make a perfect accessory product to sell with your candles.

Many people reported earlier this summer about how they were having to adjust their wicking for the summer temps... you might wanna search for that topic and read up on how the ambient air temperature and relative humidity can have a bearing on how a candle burns in any given wax.

Try wicking up or wicking down. Test on wax and FO you have ALREADY TESTED and KNOW burns PERFECTLY for you at other times. Think about every nitsy little thing that YOU could be doing differently about your candlemaking procedures that is different from what you did when you poured the perfect ones.

Don't wring your hands - take action!! There are procedures to follow when troubleshooting... ;) Go back to where things were perfect and look for any variations. HTH

Good luck!:)

scents that i have wicked for years the same way are now drowning out. i plan on calling the supplier monday to see if anybody else is having problems with the 415

Are the wicks the same? Are they from the same batch of wicks? Perhaps something has changed there - like the coating or something... ;)

with soy most all soy supplers recommend not trimming your wick less then 1/2".
Do you have any links that can document that? I personally do not recall having that anywhere... The wick trimmers I carry and have looked at all cut at 1/4"...

This is kinda important because the size flame a 1/2" wick produces and one trimmed to 1/4" is a considerable difference...

I've been pouring soy for 7 yrs and have always trimmed my wicks to 1/2" with no problem. That's what I was told when I first started and it works for me.

This is from KY's site:

With soy candles you do not need to trim the wick as short as you normally would with paraffin wax. Soy wax does need a little extra to get took off burning well the first time.

This is from Candle Soylutions site:

Trim wick to 1/2" length

i think you need to do more reading about using pure soy.

I'm sure that I do. There's always something to learn, especially from folks who have been using soy wax for so many years. ;) I have read many sites, obviously not the ones you noted, and never seen that recommendation. My soy candles take off just fine with 1/4" of wick - it's the standard I use when testing and the length they are trimmed all the way to the bottom... but if I ever do have trouble with them "taking off," I'll be sure to try leaving the wicks longer.:D

stella, if 1/4 inch works for your candles then I would not change it. I have always read and trimmed mine to 1/2 inch. I was using KY125 and have not changed wax till now. That makes 7 years or so for me. I also test burn WITHOUT trimming wicks because I know some people will not trim wicks.

tootie