votive repour

okay, i am sorry it seems like I"m always asking questions. And I promise I looked and looked to try to find an answer first......

I am trying to get some pretty votives to make for christmas gifts. I have tried 4761 and 4794. My problem is in the repour, even on the the low shrink wax it still shrinks up too much for me. I do the repour the next morning, and I pour at 10 degrees hotter than the first pour, and I can't seem to get the repour to match up. I mean the color looks great, there are no lines, but when I repour it's not the same shape as the original top. it's like I can't get the repour to seep to the very edges of the mold, so it looks super crappy. Can't tell you how many times i've melted and re-melted to try to figure out what I"m doing wrong. Please help me before I throw all of these molds in the garbage!!!

I started making candles last November with 4794 and love it! My votives turn out beautifully. I pour at about 180-185 all the way to the top, let cool for several hours (until no longer warm) and then do the repour, pouring very slowly until it looks like it is going to spill over (and sometimes it does a little bit). When cool, I put them in the fridge for about 5 minutes and they pop right out. I would never dream of using anything else! :smiley2:

hth

Valerie

I use 4794 also and this is what I do..On my first pour, I pour just below the top (so it does not go over the edge), then I only wait about 2 hours and do the repour and pour it until it is almost ready to go over the edge and they come out perfectly..

hope that makes sense..

Votives take lots of practice to get the tops right, but once you figure it out, it's smooth sailing. I do my initial pour just shy of the lip, my repour is much slower and controlled. I do recall reading on here once that some who does votives often (I hate them) purposely overpours them where enough wax spills over all sides of the cup so there are no drip marks. Does that make sense? I think he put them on a cookie sheet to collect the leftover wax for easy cleanup.

Votives do take practice to get right so don't get discouraged. Mine started coming out perfect once I poured the first pour almost to the top and did the repour all the way to the top to the point it was almost spilling over.

I put my votive containers on a cookie sheet when I pour to catch any spilled over wax. I can then reuse the spilled wax for repouring or other projects or just throw it in my tart burner.

okay, i tried again last night. made 24, and poured the first pour just to where the mold starts to turn out for the lip, second pour about an hour and 1/2 later (on a cookie sheet), all the way to the top.....and 90% of them came out great!!! I'll take 90% considering before it was more like 10%!!

I was so happy I wanted to cry!! haha!

Well, I owe it to you guys, so thank you!!!

I was thinking about doing the tart thing for the leftovers, now I guess I need to find some molds for that! (this candle thing just keeps growing, doesn' it? There is no hope of escape!!) :)