Borax

Brat

Hi, me again. I can't find Borax at the grocery stores, but I found something called Boraxo, Powdered Hand Soap. Ingredients are Sodium Tetraborax Decahydrate, Fine Toilet Soap. Is this the same thing? I have a recipe for some lotion that uses Borax, and just curious if Borax and Boraxo are the same, it's from the Dial Corporation. Thanks!

Doing an MSN search on "Sodium Tetraborax Decahydrate" pulls up to sites that deal with ridding your house of ants.

Then it asks if I meant "Sodium Tetra Borax Decahydrate" which pulls up an even scarier site here http://ptcl.chem.ox.ac.uk/MSDS/SO/sodium_tetraborate.html

Do some more research on these items so you can find exactly what you are looking for.

Angi

There are places that sell the cosmetic grade if you want to use it which doesn't have the detergents and suffectants (sp) in it. Mountain Rose Herbs is one that comes to mind, just do an internet search for Cosmetic Grade Borax. So I think the cosmetic grade would be fine; I personally wouldn't use the stuff you can buy in the grocery stores.

Angi

I went to a couple of different stores, but no one had it, or even knew of it. Until I found the Boraxo, and it's got a bunch of mules pulling a couple of wagons on it, but I don't want to take any chances, I think I'll just find another way. Or find the cosmetic grade. I was kinda hoping to whip up a recipe I found with the ingredients that I have (except the borax, but that was supposed to be easy... yeah right!) but I can wait until the cosmetic grade can ship to me.

Thanks again, everyone!

I remember Boraxo when I was a kid. My dad was a Diesel Mechanic and that stuff was about the only thing that would take the grease off his hands. We had a dispenser on the wall for it, and man if you got a hand full, that stuff could nearly take your skin off. That was some heavy duty dry soap. lol

I was in my local pharmacy looking for Vit E softgels for my sugar scrubs and lo and behold... I came across a bottle of Borax. I'm not positive, but it very well could have been in liquid form. I didn't read what it's purpose was but it seems like I've read before that the cosmetic grade Borax is often used as an anti-irritant skin conditioner type product. ?? :confused: Not sure. I've also read that when you see it in B&B recipies it's purpose is as a water softener. I think that is in the link that Soapbox shared.

It was next to things like Camphor Spirits & Sweet Oil (which is actually Olive oil sold in little pharmacy bottles to help with earaches and I think maybe even constipation) So- look in your pharmacy aisles. :yes: Let us know:)