customers and sales

Just curious how everyone promotes his or her business. Word of mouth, ads, craft fairs? How do you find that you are selling the majority of your candles? Just looking for new outlets as to how to advertise and sell mine. I love making them but I'm about to give up if I can't at least break even lol....may go back to just being a hobby for myself.

I have only been in business for about a year now and am still not making any money! Most of mine has been word of mouth and internet. I have my stuff in a salon as well as my mom's shop (sewing and tuxes), and business is slowly picking up.

I am hoping to get an open house together by october and a few home shows before Christmas. I did pretty well at Christmas last year, so hoping it will pick up more by christmas this year.

I am also planning on getting a small ad in the local classifieds with my website and locations in.

Steph

Just curious how everyone promotes his or her business. Word of mouth, ads, craft fairs? How do you find that you are selling the majority of your candles? Just looking for new outlets as to how to advertise and sell mine. I love making them but I'm about to give up if I can't at least break even lol....may go back to just being a hobby for myself.

I'm not sure how long you have been at it, but I would say it probably takes a long time to break even and then begin to see an actual profit. Good luck to you, I haven't gotten to the point of more than just getting some of the things I have tested in the hands of friends and family to see what they think. This place is a wealth of information though, and I'm sure more will come along with some good marketing ideas for you. :smiley2:

Look for places that are busy but not the usual candle store. A small town florist, clothing consignment store, antique store. I have read where someone sells a lot to a car wash. First thing for me is they love my stuff. My first customer was a guy my daughter worked with. I was just starting and she was selling baby jar candles for a $1 each. He had a store in a seasonal little town near and said if I every started making them in real jars... he would sell them in his store. Got lucky, he had a sign store, and would burn my candle all the time. Told every one how clean they burned, had an empty jar to show them. Sold 150 candles the first weekend. I almost fell over. The town is only busy from Oct. to Dec. 24th. When they went in his store they were not looking for candles but they sure bought them.

I sell to local motels for their gift shops. Also the local hospital gift shop, and a local real estate agency. I also do the farmers market every weekend. I set up at a local flea market, but they do not do so well there. I think it is because when people come to a flea market they are looking for a deal; they do not want to pay full price. I am going back to the flea market during leaf peeper season with some holiday goodies and see how they do. Make sure where ever you set up you bring lots of business cards. I do get calls from my customers asking for specific items. I offer free delivery to my neigboring towns. It doesn't cost any extra because I deliver while running errands. I have been doing this for 5 years and I do make a profit. It is a very small profit. I am hoping to do better after I get my website going.

I've been lucky to have consultants sell for me. I only have 5 but I must say that is plenty. They keep me very busy and then there are our annual holiday shows. I have been in business for almost three years and although I make money it's all been reinvested for such items as a commercial melter, cabinets and countertops for the inhome candle studio and I keep a large quantity of wax, our scents and glass in stock so I only have to order 4 times a year.

M~

http://candlesbyluminarias.blogspot.com

I started out at my sister's hair salon. From there we added a hardware store, owner is friend of DH, and two more salons. Hopefully, one more will be added next week. I also have several friends who are nurses in local ERs. Nurses loves their candles!

It takes a while for a business to develop, I am in the salon business and it takes a while to see a profit when u first start a business. Usually most start up businesses take a loss the first couple of years. So I would say about 3 years.

I usually have brochures I hand out especially now that holiday time is coming. This way they can order. I have done shows before which were ok. But its always word of mouth.

Hope this helps

I do a great many shows as well as have my candles in Tobacco shops. I'd love to have more wholesale accounts but they're had to get around here.:confused: I've tried candle parties as well but they never worked out because hostess were not willing to put forth the effort.:undecided

So it's basically shows that get my name out there.

BTW~ You need to be in business 3-5 years selling before you generally break even or see a profit. I've been in the business for 7 and see a profit but I am costantly out there pounding the pavement with my product as well.

Fire

BTW~ You need to be in business 3-5 years selling before you generally break even or see a profit.

Fire and Ice, I'm aware of this 3-5 year thing. Do you know if this would be a problem tax-wise, since I've heard the IRS only considers you a business if you make a profit 3 years out of 5? You know, if you didn't see a profit until your 6th year.

Fire and Ice, I'm aware of this 3-5 year thing. Do you know if this would be a problem tax-wise, since I've heard the IRS only considers you a business if you make a profit 3 years out of 5? You know, if you didn't see a profit until your 6th year.

As long as you keep really good records showing that you conducted yourself as a business rather than a hobby you will be just fine with the IRS. Good records, intention, and the ability to show that you were attempting to be a 'successful' business are all you need if you are ever questioned.