How safe is it to burn gel candles?

butterflydream

I've been making gels for a while now and have used a wide variety of containers. I've also bought a good many to compare test burns with mine. I've never had any kind of explosion, fire, or any of the stuff that you hear about here and there. I've used embeds of just about every type I can think of in them except stupid stuff like silk flowers, etc. A little common sense goes a long way when working with anything you intend to involve a flame with.

One "near miss" I did have involved using craft sand in the bottom. I learned to use a high neck wick tab so that it's not possible to burn the dang thing all the way down into the sand. I also found that a layer of rock over the sand is nice, too.

Gel candles are as safe to burn as any other type of candle as long as the products used to make the candle and the design created are suitable for gel candle applications.

For example, non polar fragrancing not exceeding the recomended amounts, suitable glassware, non flamable embeds, proper wicking and tabbing, including as Luci said sand etc.

As with any candle precautions should be taken while burning and these recomendations should be applied to the candle and followed, keep out of drafts, never attempt to move a candle when hot, never leave a burning candle unnattended, etc.

We do many gels, most are a combination of gel and other mediums but we still do gel scenes upon order. Most of these are double glassed, not necessarily for a safety factor but to retain the look of the candle upon burning. The ones that are not double glassed contain no flammable items, are designed in suitable glassware and if shells or sand are involved the wicking does able to contact these items in any way. (We do this thru the use of a glass blank no longer offering any crimped wick candles).

Gel is a great product to work with if care and attention to the recomendations and common sense as Luci suggested are applied.

HTH

Wendy

Like wendy said, as long as they are made correctly, they are just as safe as any other candle. I've been making them for years with no problems at all. Well, except for the sand part, it will catch on fire so it is important to make sure the flame goes out before it reaches the sand.

I'm shocked about the sand part, since a lot of Gel have sand. And what about the sand candles in non Gel candles, is that a worry too? Are you saying that they burn so hot that they can melt/burn sand/glass? What about the glass they are in? Or is their a difference in sand? Also what makes a FO Polar, is it the flash point? And since flash point is not on the bottle how do you find out what it is? What if the company went OOB is their a way to test? What about embeds, if not glass, is there a wax with certain properties you have too look for? I'm talking candles you burn not the ones with a votive. TIA

Hey... FORGET THE QUESTIONS I SAW THE TIPS ON GEL AT THE BEGINNING OF THIS SECTION. SO I'M GOING TO READ IT AND WILL BE BACK IF I DON'T FIND ALL THE ANSWERS. THANK TO ALL....

I love gel candles, but I stopped making them in 2004 because I had so many people walking up to me and telling me the same horror story they had heard. I got so sick of it that I just stopped making them. I still see gel out there but not very often. I know of one lady that has a profitable business making gel candles on the coast. I think she is moving into soy now.

I used to make gel candles a couple years ago...but I just about burned my face off!:shocked2: UGH! All I was doing is stirring the gel and air pockets must have formed and one broke and it exploded on me!:angry2: That was the end of that so I stuck to mottled paraffin and now soy.

Don't get me wrong...I love gel candles and kudos to all who have the patience to make them!!!:D I just don't want to go through that again!

Kimmeroo