Question on home show

Guest EMercier

Guest EMercier

I was invited by an old co-worker to his house to display my wares. His wife (who I know as well) is inviting me over as well as a person that does Princess House and someone that sells handbags. Don't get me wrong this is great and I thank my old co-workers for thinking of me. However, I haven't really made candles except here and there lately and really don't have much on hand. I have some duds I can sell just for a few dollars to give them something, but I wanted to make a lot so that people could take home that day. My question is:

Would it be wrong to do order only? I mean they are ordering from princess house and have to wait. It just comes on an off pay week and I would normally have the extra funds to invest again and get the ball rolling. I would deliever that next week, probably before the Princess house stuff gets there and they could pick up their stuff with that stuff. I'm just confused, I'd hate to have to borrow the $ (I'm sure BF would not mind). I get paid before the day, but it would bring it down to the wire and I don't want to be up all night the night before making candles. I've just been overhauling my candles and B&B and like I said haven't made much. Sorry this is long. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I have some duds I can sell just for a few dollars to give them something

I have to ask what do you mean by duds? One's that don't burn right? Don't live up to your expectations?

I don't think that there would be anything wrong with taking orders and take whatever you have and sell those as cash and carry.

Guest EMercier
I have to ask what do you mean by duds? One's that don't burn right? Don't live up to your expectations?

I don't think that there would be anything wrong with taking orders and take whatever you have and sell those as cash and carry.

Sorry, my duds are ones I've had for a while that haven't sold. They aren't bad at all. Kinda like a sale for quick sell type. I did call the guy and he said that probably going to be fine. $ is $ and I love $$. Gotta clean out my trunk though.

I've done several order-only parties and they did well for a few years, but now I'm finding that people like cash & carry much better. I'm planning on having cash & carry for my holiday open house this year and see how that goes.

I've done several order-only parties and they did well for a few years, but now I'm finding that people like cash & carry much better. I'm planning on having cash & carry for my holiday open house this year and see how that goes.

I agree with Trae, the home parties I've done have usually been order only, then you're not left with a bunch of candles no one wants and customers who didn't get what they wanted, because you didn't make enough of a certain scent. It's hard to read the public, you never know what they are going to buy. But I have found they lake to take their products home, so now I try to take what I can, but will take orders for those who want something I didn't have.

Guest EMercier

I've done several home parties, but this one just seemed different. I don't know why. I normally take orders. Most want to take them home, but I didn't want to run into the problem of no orders. I do finish and drop off the orders in a week. I guess I'll just take my duds and a display of the stuff I make. Thanks ya'll for responding.

I believe cash and carry works better too. At least around here.

Can you make two or so of each scent/item, and if those sell, people can place an order. I think people tend to be more impulse shoppers and if they can take something home right then, they'll buy. JMO

At least 1 of each scent. The touch feel and smell of the scent will feed the IMPULSE and your orders. But be willing to SELL what you have on hand. Set you delivery times as SOON as you can possible can. You come out better than the PH person and everyone is happy. It sounds like a nice combo between cash/carry and order only!

Win for you and win for guests!

Good Luck

Dat

I would make as much as you can and bring it to the show. Cash and carry does much better as the others have said with regard to impulse buying. When you take orders make sure you get full payment. They will be paying for the princess house up front and all the other home party plans do the same. JMO:cheesy2: