J223--again?

Hi guys:smiley2:

I've read many posts about J223 wax, the changed formulas and all, but I have continued to use it because I really liked the one pour method. A few months back i noticed the shrinkage was more than usual, as much as an inch per container after the pour and cool down period. Last night I was lucky to have some in reserve, I poured 3 pint jars and 2 hours later, shrinkage was REALLY evident. Heck, if I have to pour twice, I may as well go back to straight paraffin and use my own additives.

I'm thinking of changing, does anyone have a favorite one pour wax that is truly one pour? I used J50 in the past, but I don't know if it is still the same formula these days.

Thanks

I find the J50 is a true a one pour. The J223 always had shrinking issues for me and I would have to heat gun the tops to level them off.

I still use both waxes but I blend them with soy to make a parasoy. When I blend the J223 the shrinking issue is nonexistant.

I just love the hot and cold scent throw you get with the J waxes.

I use the J223 and I haven't had any major issues with shrinking. I pour into pre-washed containers and place them into the oven to cool slowly. I usually have to zap the tops on some of the containers with my heat gun but it's not a major problem. I would rather do that than to start over with a new wax and begin testing wicks again :eek: . At what temp. are you pouring?

We just bough J223 wax and will be trying it for our container candles for our craft fair in September. I will let you know how it works out. Usually, if you pour the wax at a higher temp the wax responds better to having less shrinkage. We have made many container candles in past and most customers don't notice the shrinkage or pay attention to those fine details if the candles look decent.

I found out some info from CandleScience Candle Supply...which makes sense from what I posted earlier. It says about J223 wax, to make sure it is heated a certain temperature to pour at so the wax will not have to have repours done, I think it said 145° to 155°. When my husband and I make candles, no matter if they are containers or pillars or any shapes, we usually heat our wax to 200° and then by the time we put in any additives (even if it is a preblended wax) and then our liquid dyes, our wax has slightly cooled to probably 180° to 190° when we pour it. We have been making candles for over 2 years and still are learning. We have a website too. Check it out! I think it is posted with my username, but if not, it is: www.celestialilluminations.com

FYI: It is advised that you pour your container wax at a cooler temperature to avoid excessive shrinking...not higher. I've use both J50 and J223 and would heat it at 200 degrees until fully melted and then pour into containers at around 160 degrees. If there's any shrinkage, it's usually minor and would only require a quick hit with the heat gun to level it out.

I use the J223 and I haven't had any major issues with shrinking. I pour into pre-washed containers and place them into the oven to cool slowly. I usually have to zap the tops on some of the containers with my heat gun but it's not a major problem. I would rather do that than to start over with a new wax and begin testing wicks again :eek: . At what temp. are you pouring?

I've always poured at 150 degrees, my jars are pre warmed; it's not really a problem, just a little aggravated with this new J223, the old one didn't shrink. but there is a silver lining:smiley2: at least my candle colors are brighter now and not so pale.

I find the J50 is a true a one pour. The J223 always had shrinking issues for me and I would have to heat gun the tops to level them off.

I still use both waxes but I blend them with soy to make a parasoy. When I blend the J223 the shrinking issue is nonexistant.

I just love the hot and cold scent throw you get with the J waxes.

Me to:cheesy2: I've thought of coming up with a soy blend, but i have lots of beeswax that i got from a local bee keeper, so I may try that first.

FYI: It is advised that you pour your container wax at a cooler temperature to avoid excessive shrinking...not higher. I've use both J50 and J223 and would heat it at 200 degrees until fully melted and then pour into containers at around 160 degrees. If there's any shrinkage, it's usually minor and would only require a quick hit with the heat gun to level it out.

Know what you mean about the cooler temp. when i started using the j50 and j223 5 yrs ago, i found that for me 150 degrees pour works. :)

I found out some info from CandleScience Candle Supply...which makes sense from what I posted earlier. It says about J223 wax, to make sure it is heated a certain temperature to pour at so the wax will not have to have repours done, I think it said 145° to 155°. When my husband and I make candles, no matter if they are containers or pillars or any shapes, we usually heat our wax to 200° and then by the time we put in any additives (even if it is a preblended wax) and then our liquid dyes, our wax has slightly cooled to probably 180° to 190° when we pour it. We have been making candles for over 2 years and still are learning. We have a website too. Check it out! I think it is posted with my username, but if not, it is: www.celestialilluminations.com

I usually heat J223 to 180, add my dye/fo and let cool to 150 and pour. the old j223 didn't have any shrinkage at these temps, but other post on the board suggest that the formula for the wax has changed; but at least my colors are brighter, which I like and I love the scent throw from the J223/j50 wax from the first time that I tried it. I've used this wax for 5yrs, don't know if i want to start testing a new wax or not, i'll probably just do the second pour.:) Love your web site, your candles are beautiful.