Milk

crazycacti

I am seeing about adding powdered milk and canned evaporated milk to soap. If you were to do this-what different quality would it give it-and would you just substitute like a couple ounces for one of the oils? or put a whole little can? or how much powdered milk?

:)

Sorry, forgot to answer the question. You would not sub out milk for the oil part of your mix, you would sub out milk for water portion. Some people sub out all the water and just use canned milk in replacement. Powdered milk would have to be mixed with the same amount of water you would use for your lye (someone correct me if I am wrong, I don't do milk soaps very often.) The milk (of any variety whether it be canned or created by reconstitution) would be used as the "water" you would mix with your lye, and works best when you freeze it so your milk does not cook and turn a yucky orange color the minute you add lye to it. For powdered milk follow the directions on the box for making a cup of milk to figure out how much to add into your water.Mix it up, weigh out how much you need for your recipe (however much water you need to mix with the lye) pop it in the freezer for a few hours, then add your lye to it. Good luck!

Evaporated milk is milk that has been processed to eliminate about 60% of the liquids while retaining most, if not all, of the milk solids.

In theory, mixing lye with 1/2 water needed and then adding the other half of water as evap milk to oils should produce a whiter bar with the goodies from the milk. Evaporated milk has been heated during processing.

I think it would be fun to experiment with condensed milk.

From Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evaporated_milk

Evaporated milk was popular before refrigeration as a substitute for perishable fresh milk, because it could be reconstituted by adding water. In present times, household use is most often for desserts and baking. When mixed with an equal amount of water, it can be substituted for fresh milk in recipes.

Definition

According to the U.S. Government (21CFR131.130): "Evaporated milk is the liquid food obtained by partial removal of water only from milk. It contains not less than 6.5 percent by weight of milkfat, not less than 16.5 percent by weight of milk solids not fat, and not less than 23 percent by weight of total milk solids ... It is homogenized. It is sealed in a container ... processed by heat ... to prevent spoilage."

• 5 months later...
I am seeing about adding powdered milk and canned evaporated milk to soap. If you were to do this-what different quality would it give it-and would you just substitute like a couple ounces for one of the oils? or put a whole little can? or how much powdered milk?

:)

Hi,I am totally new to soap making and have come across the listed milkfat (bovine) in soap calc oil list... needless to say the properties given was awesome... was thinking I could use butter unsalted as butter is around 80% milk fat with milk solids water and protein making up the rest... found this under soapcacl FAQ

What is milk fat (bovine)?

It is not butter, half and half, or heavy cream. It is the pure cream contained in those products. It is made by spinning natural whole milk (straight from the cow or other bovine animal) in a centrifuge like device. Some soapers have access to natural whole milk and can buy a cream separator or can buy milk fat from a local dairy. Heavy cream has a fat (cream) content of between 36% and 40%.

I still think you can use heavy cream or better iunsalted butter as long as you keep in mind the oil content...

I used dehydrated milkfat 99.9% butter fat I found here and it was awesome in my soap...

I want to know if anybody else had used milkfat and how they found it as a soap ingredient...? can you use butter or cream as well?

If not why not??

I know this is different from just using milk as ware substitute but If anybody has experience please let me know?

• 3 years later...

I've been soaping with "fresh" goat milk I bought in the fridge section, and evap. I've frozen, done cold, done room temp, It ALL turned out orange. I turned to the dreaded titanium dioxide. you can PM if you want to talk about the debate on carcenogenic facts on that "myth" Yeah I'm new. I'm blunt. but I'm never dull:)

Kristina

"Bayonets!"

Tried that too. I think I've tried everything except the half water half goats milk idea. that will probably be my next go.

On a side note how much f.o. do you put in asy per pound of soap. I can't seem to get any of my soap to smell.

Kristina

"Bayonets!"

If you use the milk frozen into cubes, and add the lye very slowly it doesn't turn orange. I sit my lye pitcher in the sink and add cold water and ice cubes to the sink.

I'm really new here, have only done two baches of cp so far, but this is the technique I used also, and both batches were successful. The mixture was very thick and turned a buttery yellow, but never got above room temperature and it worked like a charm!

Thanks bionec! Serious right?

Ummmm, not sure if that one's a person or a bot...

I've been on some forums that chewed me up for not knowing anything and asking questions???

No reason for anyone to be that mean - we DO encourage people to search the forums and see if the question has been asked/answered repeatedly, but no one here expects new folks to know what they don't know... but we DO encourage folks to read, read, read and study!!!

I chilled my GM in the fridge overnight, diluted with ice water (1:2 as directed on the can) to substitute 1/2 the H2O with GM, mixed lye with water (the other half of the liquid requirement), then added the lye water to the oils when it cooled to room temp. As soon as it was added and stirred into an emulsion, I added the ice cold GM and stirred the soap well by hand. I set the mixing container in a larger bowl of cold water so if the soap heated up, it would help to keep it cool. When it hit medium trace, I poured it, wrapped the molds in towels and put them to gel on my bathroom towel shelf. One soap came out a nice light tan color; the other turned almost black (but that was because of the FO I used). I planned for this in the color scheme of the soap. Next time, if I want it to remain whiter, I'll probably make GM ice cubes, as previously suggested. I also plan to use some TD in the future - some folks sya it helps; others say the opposite, so I plan to find out how it works for me. : )

I use 1 oz. PP of body-safe FO for my soaps. Some FOs and EOs "stick" better than do others, so you might want to do some research here and at the scent review website (sorry - I couldn't find a link, but it's probably in the sticky links at the top of the page or in the fragrance forum) to see which ones work well for others, which ones accelerate, which ones discolor, etc. HTH

I gotta get the baking method out of head...Throw it all in and mix it up

*chuckle*

That's NOT the "baking method" - that's the "cake mix" way of thinking - dump it all in one thing, stir and bake.

Good baking & cooking require adding certain ingredients at different times for best results. So does good soapmaking. Good luck! : )