Buisness name help? Please

victoriaj

Hi,

After two years of testing and six months of selling locally and on ebay, i am ready to set up a website, but cannot decide on a buisness name

I have been selling locally and in my ebay store as Heavenly Scented Candle Co. However now that i need to purchase a domain name and am from the U.K, so would probably have a .co.uk, i think having two co's in the address would be confusing?:confused:

So i thought about shortening it to

Heaven Scent Candles / Heaven Scented Candles

Heavenly Scent Candles/ Heavenly Scented Candles

What do you think? Or even something totally different?

My candles are all primitive and bakery themed, and my webset is primitive candles with gingerbread men with hearts, so any suggestions to fit in with these would be welcome?

Thankyou all very much :grin2:

Thanks guys

At the moment think i am leaning towards Heaven Scent Candles, but i like prim candle creations too. If a name or similar is been used in the US would it stop me from using something similar in the U.K?

Yvette i like primcastle creations too and if i had still been living in newcastle i could have used something like that as the georides are very patriotic. But now that i dont have to be in uni everyday i am living back at home about 45minutes south of newcastle

Thanks everyone for your imput, keep them coming please

The trouble with heaven scent is that a million other people have thought of it already. I just did a search for "heaven scent Candles" and hundreds of candle websites came up, all with a variation of the theme "heaven scent". I ran a domain check also - and pretty much every variation of heaven scent or thereabouts is gone already.

Even if you DO manage to find a domain name by adding the word "company" or whatever to the end, so you have "heavenly scent candle company" for example - if someone actually typed "heaven scent candles" into google or yahoo and not your exact full company name, you would appear on something like page 10 of the results because there are companies out there who already use this name and have been established a long time - which improves their ranking on the search engines.

This means that by the time people actually get to YOUR heaven scent candle company, they would have already been tempted by 100 candle companies before you.

Even if you did find a domain for your website - there are a hundred other people who got there before you and will ultimately appear in all the search engine listings before you. Even if you specify "UK ONLY" on the search engines, they will still always bring back the USA websites if the name match is very close so you still have to worry about your customers not bothering to search any further than page one.

It's statistically proven that around 90% of buyers choose to only view companies who appear on the first two pages of results....where would you appear if you used such a common name?

Have a think about it and decide if you really want to be lumped with hundreds of other people with the whole "heaven scent" thing - it's been done to death in pretty much every format and variation already and you'll have to struggle to be seen amongst them all.

Hope this helps. I had the same dilemma when I started. I thought I was being so clever thinking of names but it turned out I was an unimaginative twit who could only think of names that everyone else had which is why I used a completely made up word!

Nat

Thanks natt- i would really like the name heaven scent candles - but what you said makes sense. So it looks like i am back to square one, just when i thought i had finally decided. Oh well i am in no rush- will not actually have the time to built the site for another month or so.

My wesite will have little primitive ginger men with hearts so perhaps i could incorporate this in to the name? Dont know how though?

Thanks natt- i would really like the name heaven scent candles - but what you said makes sense. So it looks like i am back to square one, just when i thought i had finally decided. Oh well i am in no rush- will not actually have the time to built the site for another month or so.

My wesite will have little primitive ginger men with hearts so perhaps i could incorporate this in to the name? Dont know how though?

You made me think of 'Ginger Kisses' or Ginger Kiss (Gingerkiss.co.uk -sounds nice)

They are little bite sized ginger sponge cakes that we have in NZ, sandwiched together with cream.

I was thinking

Almost Heaven Candle Company

The domain www.almostheavencandleco.com is open and when I google and msn search one biz pops up that is called "Almost Heaven Candle and Soap Stuff" with a totally different web addy.

I actually was thinking of using "Almost Heaven" to name my company oh about 6 years ago because my mom is from West Virginia and as a little girl I loved that song LOL! (Almost Heaven, West Virginia)

Just an idea if you still want "heaven" in your name and that is the only company I see close to that name.

Just an idea :)

Angi

I was thinking

Almost Heaven Candle Company

The domain www.almostheavencandleco.com is open and when I google and msn search one biz pops up that is called "Almost Heaven Candle and Soap Stuff" with a totally different web addy.

Angi

I really like that one, will have a think on that one. Was dead set on having heaven scent candles, but as natt was saying if it would never be ranked in the search engines then i cant use it- would love to though? Would it work and still get ranked if i used something like Heaven Scent Candle Creations? Thats available as a .co.uk and .com, but i dont think it sounds right?

O.K, thanks for all your help guys, i have come up with a short list

Sugar n spice candles or sugar n spice candle creations

Sweet tooth candle creations

Gingerbread primitives

Country Kitchen Candles ( or spelt Kountry Kitchen Candles)

What do you all think- which one do you prefere? Thanks again.