Cub Scout activity?

Theres a local scout leader that is wanting me to let there boys make some sort of tapers that you dip several times into wax. I am not sure how to do this. I use grubby taper molds for the ones that I make. Does anyone know the directions ( or where I can find them) to do this with the boys. They said that I would charge something like $5 a kid and make money from this for my company. Any help would be great. I dont really have any more info to explain more about what they are wanting.

We did that here,,,It is a long process but they had fun,,we used 18ply flat braid wick (suggested by alan from Peaks) and IGI-1343 wax with 1 to 3 tablespoons of stearic per pound of wax melted at 150. We used the 6 Juice cans as Vicky suggested you need a big pot and a heat source to keep the wax hot. we used hangers to tie our wicks on and started dipping. you have to stop every few minutes to let the wax build up but it is so worth it. We also had 4 cans of colored wax so this way after the candles got to the thickness you want them they could add some colors to them...the Boys had a blast and couldnt believe people really made these by hand. They took them home to their parents and they were proud of what they had done.

Now the girl scouts did their candles from the paper milk cartons,,,we had one carton per girl,,, we used a 36ply flat braid wickand we used 1343 for this also with 2 tablespoons of stearic per pound of wax melted to 150 and we poured at 140 into the carton and the girls started to use their whisk until their lil arms felt like they would fall off. After they set up we peeled away the carton and there was a beautiful white swirled look candle. They loved it!!!

It is worth doing these projects as they did them from the days of old,,yes they do take time but its important to keep the history of candle making alive and handed down to our children.

To much of our history is being shoved aside for speediness,,,sometimes it is good to slow down and breathe,,,

I did this with my son for a school project. He hand dipped bayberry tapers because it was a project about the Middle Ages. I figured they didn't have paraffin back then and didn't want to render my own tallow. (I had the bayberry wax laying around) Hey so he was a rich kid in the Middle Ages what can I say. (lol) Keep the wax at a constant temp, he dipped it into the melted wax brought the wick out. Then after a few seconds he placed it into cold water for 30 seconds to a minute. (just to speed things along) Another tip is to tie something small to the end of the wick so in the beginning the wick stay's straight. If you dip it into cold water, before you bring it back into the wax wipe off some of the water drops, otherwise the finish will look funny.

It is a very long process but my son actually had a lot of fun making his own candles. They actually showcased his candles in the front of the building so he was on cloud nine. Hmmm, the school never did give those candles back to me, I wonder if they new it was bayberry.

hth,

Karen B

It is worth doing these projects as they did them from the days of old,,yes they do take time but its important to keep the history of candle making alive and handed down to our children.

Indeed. It's also important to promote pyromania among the young. I don't want to be the last of a dying breed.