Wicks & which is the one?

I am fairly new to the biz and have now tested wicks from several companies and several styles from HTP to LX and the new CSN from CS. I use GB415 & 464 and Glass Glow Palm. I am having problems finding a place that uses quality wicks. Can anyone suggest a great place or two to but wicks from? Also, any recommendations on types of wicks? I had problems with HTP...they had a bad burnt smell thaqt overthrew the scents. I feel LX may burn too quickly and had luck in the beginning with cotton wicks. Any help will greatly be appreciated

I am having problems finding a place that uses quality wicks

What type of problem are you having with the quality? CS has very good quality products. I've never had any problems with the quality of their wicks. Is the problem mainly finding a wick that gives you the results you are looking for or did you find that the wicks you received from them were damaged?

I had problems with HTP...they had a bad burnt smell

Did this occur with every FO you tested using the HTP's? What percentage of FO did you use? What is the diameter of your container?

The CSN wicks are desinged specifically for palm wax because of the high acid content in palm wax. What size of containers are you using? I use the 10oz. and 16oz. apothecary style jars which are 4" wide at its widest point so I use the CSN 9's and double wick the jars and that works really well so far with all colors and fo's that we have tried. We use no more than 1oz. ppw. and that has been very adequate so far. If I can use the CSN 16 as a single wick and make it work that is what I would preferr.However,that has not worked out....could be because I am just a bit off center with my wick....what a bummer. My wax of choice now is the CS frosted palm,but I do have some CS GG palm and will be testing that as well very soon. I'm not sure about the other waxes you described as we are slowly moving away from soy and using the palm instead. Paraffin testing is in the near future as well.....I think it gets somewhat of a bum rap but it really is a matter of choice so we will just keep on testing lots of different waxes and blends to see what is best.

Mike

Welcome to the Forum. You can find a lot of help here but we need to know exactly what problem you are trying to resolve. We can never have too much information - and really need it to help!

You're using several types of wax - are you trying to find one wick that will work in all the waxes?

I appreciate all of your help! I posted this without thinking the question through (sorry, my wife is much better at this than I!) and I now realize how loaded this question actually was. I'll use the search feature and figure more out for myself. I look forward to working out other "kinks" in the candle making process with you all on the message board in the near future. Thanks again!

We are using a 12oz metro jar, Glass Glow wax, CSN 14 and 1oz FO. We're burning it for the first time this morning and it seems to be doing fine It's not burning perfectly clean to the edges, but extremely close. Hopefully we'll get the result we want in another burn or two.

Sounds like y'all are getting it dialed in... Palm wax frequently does not reach the maximum melt pool on the first or even second burn. Now if a LOT is left over, ya might wanna think about wicking up and you may need to, but burn the test candle ALL the way down before deciding. HTH :D

I appreciate all of your help! I posted this without thinking the question through (sorry, my wife is much better at this than I!) and I now realize how loaded this question actually was. I'll use the search feature and figure more out for myself. I look forward to working out other "kinks" in the candle making process with you all on the message board in the near future. Thanks again!

We are using a 12oz metro jar, Glass Glow wax, CSN 14 and 1oz FO. We're burning it for the first time this morning and it seems to be doing fine It's not burning perfectly clean to the edges, but extremely close. Hopefully we'll get the result we want in another burn or two.

That's okay, don't apologize, we all have to start somewhere. You guys will learn as you go and before you know it, you'll be pros. Ask all the questions you want, CT is one big team, we're all here to help.

Hang in there and have fun!!!