Shrink wrapping votives...am I missing something?

I'd like to be able to shrink wrap my votives so they stay nice and clean and don't get too banged up from hamdling them but I'm not having much luck with it. I've tried these shrink wrap bands....(http://www.soapwizards.com/tek9.asp?pg=products&specific=jofqpqqrc I hope it's ok to post this link) but using enough heat to shrink the wrap keeps melting my votives as well. I can't seem to get it to wrap nice and tight and smooth without doing damage to the votive inside.

Any suggestions or am I missing something obvious here? :embarasse

Thanks in advance!

Denya

I've found that my blow dryer works just as well. Immediately after applying the heat the wrapper is still a little loose - but it appears to conform very well when I looked at it the next day.

BTW, the ones I use are slightly tapered and still surround the edges at the top and bottom - but have an opening the size of a quarter so customers can still smell the aroma.

What are you using to heat the shrink wrap? If using a heat gun be sure to keep it about 6-8 nches away from whatever you're heating. Too close will melt your votives. I have shrink wrapped my soaps before and melted one the first time I tried doing it up close. I also use a waving motion when heating. It takes some practice to shrink wrap so it looks professional.

Keep your heat source moving! Heat guns are HOT and will melt the wax if you are too close or are not continuously moving the heatgun. Be sure to use an impulse sealer to enclose the candle before heatguning. I didn't use the impulse sealer at first and mine looked horrible, like a chimp had done them!:embarasse THEN when I read something here about using the impulse sealer, I tried and it makes ALL the difference! It only takes like 5 seconds or less of heatguning to make a perfectly wrapped votive. HTH :D

I never had a problem shrinking them, my problem was the smell. It smells like a skunk. I like the way the votive looks, but the smell does not go away. You can hardly smell yht scent from it. I wont say from whom I bought them, but I will say you probally have seen the classified for them.The bags were good it was the smell. Where does everybody get the shrrink wrap from??

I've only been using a hair dryer. I was afraid the heat gun would be too hot.

I'll have to look into the impulse sealer and see if that's something I want to invest in. I tried a few more over the weekend and was able to get the top to look nice, but the bottom never quite gets smooth enough to let the candle sit flat. I guess I just need to practice at it more. lol

Thanks for all the advice!

Denya

Cindy, when I bought my shrinkwrap kit, we were supplied with bags that were made from what I term "stink wrap." I emailed the kind folks from the ShrinkWrapStore (they are closed until Aug. 15th, but you can email them) and they sent me samples. I chose the polyolefin and haven't looked back! No more stinkwrap for me!! I started to email the supplier who provided me with those awful bags, but since they are chandlers themselves, I am sure they are aware of how bad their product is... they are just taking advantage of folks who don't know one bag from another. Fool me once... but they won't fool me again! ;)

I would recommend to anyone that if you haven't used a shrinkwrap product from someone, don't take ANYONE'S word - ask for samples FIRST! Check Harbor Freight for impulse sealers and heatguns - much cheaper than what I paid.;)