Clamshells leaking oil and melting plastic

I am writing this for a friend of mine who ordered some clamshells from a wholesaler. She said that only the darker colored clamshells seem to be "leaking" and you can smell the oil leaking out of the tart. Apparently it looks like it may be melting the plastic. What could be causing this? My first thought was too much FO, but I don't make tarts, so I'm not sure what the cause is. They aren't sure what type of wax it is, they just know that it is starting to leak FO and is really strong, as if the tart is already being warmed. Thanks :)

They bought the clamshells from a wholesaler and haven't even melted them yet. I am guessing it is soy wax from the looks of it. They went to open the container to melt some of the tarts and they were already leaking before they had a chance to put them in a warmer. Sorry I can't give more info, I didn't get that much from them.

They said from the looks of it, the oil is melting the packaging? I'm not sure if that's possible or not. I guess the oil seems to be separating from the wax. I hope this is clear, I know that I am all over the place with the info, sorry :(

I have never seen FO melt a clamshell before. I would send those back and ask for a refund promptly. My thoughts are the oil did not mix in the wax well and is seeping, and it must be a pretty strong FO to be melting the clamshell or like what was already suggested--they poured too hot and melted the clamshell at that stage.

Either way I would think the wholesaler would have noticed that happening among others unless they are just pouring a few at a time, which I doubt.

i have had wax with FO "eat through" and leak when i poured leftover from a batch that i didnt mix long enough into small portion type cups... my guess it is what is happeneing there too... prob. to large a % of oil and not mixed totally and having a chemical reaction. I would contact the whsl. people and ask some questions etc.

OK, think I got it now. Your friends ordered some clamshells filled with the scented wax. When they received them the wax appeared bubbled and the oil was separating from the wax. Plus the plastic clamshell is malformed and appears to have melted. Right?

1. Could be a production problem. Wax too hot when poured and distorted the plastic clamshell. OR FO not mixed in properly. But I doubt any wholesaler would allow a product out looking like that!

2. Probably a shipping problem. Did I see Texas in your Location? The terrible summer heat wave could have melted the wax causing oil separation. I've seen a clamshell "eaten up" by a pure oil. Where did it come from - how long did it take to get there - was it sitting in a mailbox or in direct sunlight on the porch? I suspect the color wouldn't matter too much...just that these were packed closest to the sides of the box.

Exposure to direct sun, or being transported in a closed vehicle, can raise the temperature of the contents considerably. Take into fact that soy wax starts melting at as little as 90 degrees (for container wax) and 115 (for pillar wax) I think the heat got to them and the seller is not aware of the situation.

Definitely hang on to the clamshells and have them contact the seller. The seller should be made aware so they can make this right for your friends. I bet they are new to the business and haven't realized summer heat requires shifting their ship dates and double check how they are packing the boxes.

Tell your friends not to handle the ones that have the seeping oil...and put them on a glass or ceramic plate until the seller is contacted. If they get oil on their hands - wash them immediately.

Hope it all works out!

• 5 years later...