Is it the MP base or me?

SusieQ

I thought I would try some MP base to play around with. I bought

3 different kinds from WSP, Oatmeal, Goats milk, & Silk and Shea.

First, tried the Goat's milk, for me and my daughter we liked the

feel of it, but didn't really lather to well. Just made the Silk and Shea

Butter for hubby. scented it with Black Canyon from Peaks. I asked him

this morning how he liked it, he says nice scent, but not much lather.

Well I told him he should had of taken a bubble bath if he wanted alot

of bubbles and lather.:highfive:

What am I doing wrong? Is it the base or am I not doing something

right? I have to say there isn't much lather to any of these bases.

:confused:

Try adding a little vegetable glycerin to your M&P melted base. I use about 1/4 tsp per lb up to 1/2 tsp per lb. Really helps with the lather. I get those big puffy bubbles with it. You can get it at most soap suppliers or try your local health food store too. Cheaper at the soap suppliers thou.

Also, to make your soaps more creamy add 1 tsp of castor oil to 1 lb M&P base. Learned this from Prairie Annie. It works great. Customers tell me how creamy my soaps are. You can also get castor oil from soap supplier.

I just find that M&P bases need a little beefing up to get a rich, soapy, creamy soap bar.

HTH

• 6 months later...
I add castor and avocado oil to my M&P bases. It makes a world of difference in moisturizing and lather!

Dragging up an old thread here - firegirl, do you add both oils to the same batch? Candybee's post mentioned 1 tsp. castor oil to 1 lb. M&P base - do you use 1 tsp. of oils total if you use both in the same batch? Is it just trial and error to see what amount works best? Can you use any oils (assuming you've done the research and know which oils will add what qualities to your soap)?

ETA: I just saw in another old thread that as a general rule, you shouldn't add more than 2 tablespoons total of additives to a pound of M&P base. So, other than following already-tested recipes and that general rule, it's pretty much just trial and error and experimenting, yes?

Not firegirl, but I"ll toss my two cents worth into the pot. For the most part you are correct. Experimenting is the best way to figure out what works and what doesn't for you.

I have been known to add everything but the kitchen sink to my MP soap, and I feel that I have kick ass soap to show for it. My bars are bubbly, moisturizing and cleansing, and a few folks on the board would attest to that!

As a general rule, I don't add more than 2-3 TBS of additives to my soap base. There are some that you can, but the best rule of thumb I follow is to keep liquids and solids balanced. For instance, if I add 1 TBS of oil, I might want to add 1 TBS of butter as well. If I'm adding goat's milk, I try to balance that liquid with some extra butter to keep my bars harder. I also add bees wax to my bars to keep them hard and that is in addition to the other additives, even if I've already gone up to or a little over my 2TBS rule. I also don't count FO as an additive.

Another surefire bar hardening additive is Olive oil! Be careful about the amount, it tends to make my bars a little slimey if I go over 2Tbs.

MP soap is a fun and forgiving way to make soap. It's great to experiment with... although it can get expensive, but I've never had a batch not harden up on me, so I've always been able to use it, even if it wasn't exactly what I wanted. Have fun with it! :)