Tart Staying Power...ideas?

I thought I had tarts down pretty well...making them with a para/soy blend. I use about 6-9% FO depending on the strength of the FO.

Well, my neighbor says they don't last more than a day, and NEVER two days. (lol...her words) My tarts are small ones...I tell her to put a couple in her burner at a time.

It's so frustrating to me that she tells me my tarts aren't 'yank**' quality...ughhh, well duh, I know they aren't even close yet! But, she's getting free tarts and then telling me how bad they suck because they don't last as long as Yank**! (lol) Heck, I thought they were pretty good!

Soooo...question of the day....how do I get them to last longer? Would putting some type of hardener/additive in them make them last a bit longer?

Thanks for any help you can give me....oh, and before anyone says anything....I've already found myself some new testers! :grin2:

~~hugs~~

Suzy

Hi Suzy,

First let me say that what I'm about to post are just my experiences and JMO...Others can chime in with their experiences and opinions as well to help you with your concerns.

Testers should feel honored to have the opportunity to try out and test free smellies...I know I would.

I've done very extensive testing with tart melting temps and scent throw. There are some variables to consider.....I'll try not to ramble on too much.....

What type of tart melters are your testers using? If using electric melters, what is the wattage of those melters? Electric melters are anywhere from 8 to 25 watts, this temp range makes a huge difference with scent throw/scent life. In my tests, the higher the wattage, the hotter the wax will get and the better the scent throw will be but the scent life will be shorter because hotter temps equal great scent throw with a shorter scent life. With tealight warmers if your tealight flame is sitting too close to the bottom of your bowl where your tart sits this will cause your wax to get too hot and cause the scent to burn off more quickly. For example, I lit one of my pure soy tealights wicked with an LX8 and placed it in a tealight burner that has a 2 1/2" clearance between the flame and the tart bowl and that wax temp reached 230F and rising! Scent throw was awesome but that's way too hot and exceeds a safe melting temp in my book. I also have a tealight burner that has a 4" clearance between the flame and the tart bowl and that wax temp barely reached 170, this was perfect for me, lower wax temp, good scent throw and a longer scent life.

It's possible that your testers might be using wax melters that get too hot if they are complaining that scent life is short. On the other hand, if your tarts are scenting for a day your doing something right. Little 1oz tarts rarely last longer than that with most scents anyway, even Yank** in my experience.

As far as adding something to your wax formula for scent staying power, unforunately, I don't know what that would be...Maybe someone with more experience with that will chime in with some ideas and suggestions.

You want a tester who's easy to please? Unless you think she's being dishonest you may be better off keeping the hard ass.

Maybe you can try making some wax melts that are the same weight as a yankme tart and ask her how those stack up. At least it'll be comparing apples to apples.

What size are the tarts you make? I used to buy yankee tarts and they lasted through two tea light burns, anywhere from 8-10 hours. That being said, is it a heavy scent or a light one? I tend to agree with Top, I would want a finicky tester that way when your product hits the market, you know without a doubt you have a great product. If you don't agree with this tester, than take it for what it's worth.

I use 6-9% in my tarts, a 50/50 blend and use clamshells for my packaging and get great reviews and tons of re-orders. There are time when I consider just offering wax melts because they are so EASY to make.

I have a question here if anyone knows...why do 2 oz containers with 6% fo on a warmer smell for months and tarts with the same % only last 8-10 hours (I'm using this from an earlier post here)? Isn't it basically the same principal of melting wax in an open container?

since I found palm wax, my tarts last longer in both and I sell out every week! LOL Each one is just a little over 1 oz. A good friend of mine melts them all over her house and she is a power melter! She buys 2 of my eight packs per week! That is 16 melts in 7 days, and she uses simmer pots (electric) I don't complain cause that is a good sale for my business! LOL I use her for a tester too when I make them with a new fragrance! I agree ............find someone who will be happy to get free melts and test them for you! I know I would be!!!!!!!!

Thanks so much for the feedback. I feel like yes, maybe I do want a finicky tester. I've used a variety of FO's and small flower type tarts (I'm trying to remember where I purchased these from...they are like nine on a tray... from Bittercreek maybe??) But it seems no matter what...she's not happy with them. lol

I've weighed them...they are two @ .50 ounces. I tell her to use two because her and I used to cut a yankme in half to get extra time out of it. =) I weighed the yankme I have on hand...it's @ 1.00oz. ( you all probably already know that....lol)

Sooooo....guess I'll have to do a comparison myself...use four of my little tarts to one yankme and go from there.

As usual...more testing....LOL. But anyhow...I am thankful for the responses. I suppose since life has been stressful for me lately, I'm just using my tester as my venting point. :shocked2: Oh well...

Any other suggestions would be wonderful. I'm getting ready right now to make another batch.

Thanks again, all. :grin2:

Hi Suzy,

First let me say that what I'm about to post are just my experiences and JMO...Others can chime in with their experiences and opinions as well to help you with your concerns.

Testers should feel honored to have the opportunity to try out and test free smellies...I know I would.

I've done very extensive testing with tart melting temps and scent throw. There are some variables to consider.....I'll try not to ramble on too much.....

What type of tart melters are your testers using? If using electric melters, what is the wattage of those melters? Electric melters are anywhere from 8 to 25 watts, this temp range makes a huge difference with scent throw/scent life. In my tests, the higher the wattage, the hotter the wax will get and the better the scent throw will be but the scent life will be shorter because hotter temps equal great scent throw with a shorter scent life. With tealight warmers if your tealight flame is sitting too close to the bottom of your bowl where your tart sits this will cause your wax to get too hot and cause the scent to burn off more quickly. For example, I lit one of my pure soy tealights wicked with an LX8 and placed it in a tealight burner that has a 2 1/2" clearance between the flame and the tart bowl and that wax temp reached 230F and rising! Scent throw was awesome but that's way too hot and exceeds a safe melting temp in my book. I also have a tealight burner that has a 4" clearance between the flame and the tart bowl and that wax temp barely reached 170, this was perfect for me, lower wax temp, good scent throw and a longer scent life.

It's possible that your testers might be using wax melters that get too hot if they are complaining that scent life is short. On the other hand, if your tarts are scenting for a day your doing something right. Little 1oz tarts rarely last longer than that with most scents anyway, even Yank** in my experience.

As far as adding something to your wax formula for scent staying power, unforunately, I don't know what that would be...Maybe someone with more experience with that will chime in with some ideas and suggestions.

Ditto on everything waxflower said. Those would have been my exact words if I posted. :wink2: It is a catch 22. Even with all the variables, there may be different waxes that can hold the scent a little longer than another, but not sure. I think a different wax has more to do with how well the scent throws and not so much how long it lasts, but I could be wrong. I do know (like Waxflower stated) that different oils will have different lasting results.

I actually do prefer picky testers, even though you can get discouraged now and then. I have one tester that is too easy to please, so I usually always need a second opinion. I am very picky myself, but I would at least be thankful for the freebies and would be honest but not too blunt.

Good luck in your testing. :)

I make my tarts using igi 4786, with 10 % fo. The tart molds are 2.25" diameter and ea. tart weighs about .8 oz when cooled. I get about 3-4 burns (3-4 tealights, 4 hours each) or about 12-16 hours frome each tart.

I once made tarts (AH/RE Avalanche) at 7.5% bec I was told this was a really strong oil. I was only able to use the tart twice. It hadn't occured to me, until after, that % fo, doesn't only affect scent throw/strength of tarts but will also affect how long they can be used effectively. This was just my experience.

HTH

Eve

Suzanne....what type of palm wax do you use? I guess I'm confused on the palm stuff....got some from candle science but I don't think that's what your talking about, right? :P

Thanks...

sonshine I do use the Starburst from Candle Science and I haven't had a bad batch ever (well YET! :laugh2: ) ! I do use a little more than an ounce per pound, too for my Suzie Melts!

Taken from Yankee's website.....

Our Tarts® wax potpourri delivers great scent with no wick. There's no flame to burn away any of the scent, which makes Tarts® wax potpourri an excellent choice for exceptional home fragrancing. Simply place in a wax potpourri burner (never add water) and light a Yankee® Tarts® Warmer candle (unscented tea light) below, or use one of our electric wax potpourri burners. As the Tarts® wax potpourri melts, it releases its scent. About 8 hours of fragrance each. Mix and match scents to create your own personal aroma blends. Plus, they're perfect for scenting drawers or cupboards ... anywhere they're stored. Order by single piece.

Maggie

Taken from Yankee's website.....

Our Tarts® wax potpourri delivers great scent with no wick. There's no flame to burn away any of the scent, which makes Tarts® wax potpourri an excellent choice for exceptional home fragrancing. Simply place in a wax potpourri burner (never add water) and light a Yankee® Tarts® Warmer candle (unscented tea light) below, or use one of our electric wax potpourri burners. As the Tarts® wax potpourri melts, it releases its scent. About 8 hours of fragrance each. Mix and match scents to create your own personal aroma blends. Plus, they're perfect for scenting drawers or cupboards ... anywhere they're stored. Order by single piece.

Maggie

Remember the days when Yankee said their tarts could not be used in an electric warmer. That's before they sold them.....

You do want a tester that is going to be honest with you. If the items were given as a gift and not for feedback then I would say the tester was being rude but if you asked for her opinion then that's what she gave you. I would rather a tester be honest with me then have a product that people were not satisfied with and not have a clue. The information already posted here is probably one of the reasons she was not pleased with the tarts. Would she let you borrow her burner so you could test your tarts at your home to see how they melt and throw with her burner? Do you have any FO from another supplier to test?

Ya know...that's a great idea....borrow her tester and test my tarts with it to see what happens.

I made some palm tarts last night and they are soooo pretty. I may just change, I'm just not sure yet. I'm burning one now, and it smells great, but the cold throw wasn't exactly what I'm looking for. Hmmm

But again, thanks for the suggestion. I think I'll ask her for her burner, and make a temporary exchange! :grin2:

Suzy

Guest Candelishis

I use light-bulb-type warmers at my home, and at work (my "real job"), we have a little hot-plate-type warmer. I have noticed that my tarts will last 3-4 days at home (I leave it on all the time...I know...I shouldn't but I do), and at work, they only last one 8 1/2 hour work day. So I started using 1/2 tart at work to get 2 days out of them. It's my opinion that the hot-plate kind melt the wax at a MUCH higher temp, therefore making the fo evaporate much much quicker. So I'm guessing that her burner is a different type than yours? And some people are just more forceful with their opinions than others :) So don't get discouraged, just keep testing!!!