Need help choosing a wick to start with.

Okay, I am getting my order ready & I need some help with where to start with testing wicks. Here are the details...

I am ordering all of these from Candle Science:

Golden Brands 464 wax

16 oz. apothecary Jars -Height & Diameter is 4"

I really don't know what the difference is between the CSN and LX series wicks. So I don't know which one to use & I have no clue what size/sizes to start with for testing. Any help is appreciated. :grin2:

I have not used the CSN wicks. This is a wick designed and made specially for CS. The "N" in CSN means that the wick is primed with a natural coating, a benefit if your your wanting to stay all natural. They have great customer service, if you call them they would most likely tell you more about that particular wick.

I have used LX wicks and like them so far. If you don't mind double wicking and if you decide to go with the LX wicks in a 4" diam jar you could start with 2 LX14's. If you don't want to double wick maybe start with an LX26.

This place has lots of information on the different wick types and may help you decide where to start.

www.wicksunlimited.com

Have fun!!!:grin2:

Perhaps you could ask the experts at CS to recommend a wick for you from their stock, or perhaps Jason from Golden Brands could make a recommendation for you...

You might also want to do a search here to see what others using the same kind of wax are using to wick their candles...

Sorry, I can't be more helpful, but I don't use that brand of wax, so I don't know what to suggest to you.

Try not to get too distracted by price.

Yes, the CSN kit is less expensive but, the CSN kit contains 35 wicks (5 of each of the 6 sizes), the LX kit contains 50 wicks (5 of each of the 10 sizes). Having a choice of more sizes in a particular wick series can be beneficial when testing to better fine tune your desired burn. JMO.

I am currently testing the GW464 in 16 & 26 apothecaries, I am double wicking the premiere 700 series wicks. I have found them to work very well so far. Most of my scents in the 16 oz apoth are accepting the 750's, 755's, and 760's with a good m/p and very little soot and mushroom. The 755's cover the majority of my scents, but I have a few that I don't dye and that are easier to burn that I have wicked down to a 750 and I have a few that are harder to burn that I have had to wick up to a 760 or 765.

You can buy these in packs of 50 from www.soycandle.com

I didn't like working with the LX wicks very much, they seem to fall over alot and drown out.

And I had a hard time finding the correct size with the CD's, one size might be too large and create a lot of mushroom and soot, but the next size down was too small and I wouldn't get a full m/p.

HTH

Jennifer

Okay, I am getting my order ready & I need some help with where to start with testing wicks. Here are the details...

I am ordering all of these from Candle Science:

Golden Brands 464 wax

16 oz. apothecary Jars -Height & Diameter is 4"

I really don't know what the difference is between the CSN and LX series wicks. So I don't know which one to use & I have no clue what size/sizes to start with for testing. Any help is appreciated. :grin2:

Candle Science has a handy wick selector on their site. You can type in your wax, jar size/type and it will give you wick recommendations.

What Candybee said... however, with a 4" container and soy wax, you're going to have to double wick. I, right now anyway, am using 444 and I like LX the best, with second choice probably RRD. CSN were developed, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, mainly for the palm waxes. I think Jackalex posted something about trying to use her RRD's in Palm and it not working and CSN in soy and it going badly. Let me search... nope, can't find it. Anyway, wicking is always discussed. You'll find that one person can use the exact same wax, FO and wick combination and have very different results. Wick kits can be a bit pricey, but what isn't pricey in making candles? It all depends on what is most important to you...

What Candybee said... however, with a 4" container and soy wax, you're going to have to double wick. I, right now anyway, am using 444 and I like LX the best, with second choice probably RRD. CSN were developed, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, mainly for the palm waxes. I think Jackalex posted something about trying to use her RRD's in Palm and it not working and CSN in soy and it going badly. Let me search... nope, can't find it. Anyway, wicking is always discussed. You'll find that one person can use the exact same wax, FO and wick combination and have very different results. Wick kits can be a bit pricey, but what isn't pricey in making candles? It all depends on what is most important to you...

Well said Tereasa.

Candle making is pretty pricey. No matter how you go about it, candle making adds up to a small fortune spent. On the other hand, it's very rewarding when a candle test turns out the way you want it to. :grin2: