How much do you...

chrisasst

I would think it would depend on what's in the soap. Simple M&P w/ color & scent would be far less than...say...soap w/ Emu & GM, or an all butter M&P soap w/ Meadowfoam Seed Oil.

All of your additives & packaging should be factored into the cost per bar...not to mention many other things.

It's a tedious task, but necessary so you don't short-change yourself.

Well,. I did figure my costs..my concern is, unless my numbers are screwed up, it would cost less to buy soap from lets say walmart then what I would charge...so why would people buy my M&P soap?

It'll always be cheaper than buying from Walmart, so what you can do is market it as deserving of that higher price!

Firstly, the word "HANDMADE" always implies more effort, better quality (not always true, but first impressions are always important), and lastly, unique. Play that up, maybe talk about the care taken you've with each soap to make sure it's worth every penny and good for your skin. People will usually view something that's not mass-produced as more desirable.

Secondly, market it as having better ingredients. Maybe play up the (exotic?) oils you may add, like apricot kernel oil, shea butter or macadamia oil, or other additives like honey or goat's milk, or even your essential oils.

Thirdly, make sure your packaging looks good. You may just use kraft paper and raffia twine, but if you pack it well and your label is charming, you'll immediately up the perceived value of your soaps.

Some people may say "Oh, CP is better quality soap than MP" (there's a thread somewhere here that addresses that) but you can always say it depends on how well the MP is formulated and how good the base is (no sulfates, that sort of thing).

Lastly, believe in your product. Trust me on this, it'll show.

HTH!

Well,. I did figure my costs..my concern is, unless my numbers are screwed up, it would cost less to buy soap from lets say walmart then what I would charge...so why would people buy my M&P soap?

No, your numbers are probably right. You could probably buy a bar of soap from walmart cheaper than what it costs you to make it yourself, let alone cost x 3 (or whatever your retail pricing formula is). But then most of the things in walmart are cheap imports of low quality. That's where your soap differs.

How much is our skin worth? These commercial brands are filled with a bunch of crap. They are basically detergent. How much money do people spend a month on Burt's Bees stuff and the like? I seen a bottle was like, $8.00, or was it $14.00? Anyhow, I look at back on the ingredients and it says powdered milk and butter milk. I can throw that together in my own kitchen! So I do.

How many Starbux' are out there? It is $5.00 for a cup of coffee!! So you mean to tell me someone can't spend 5-6 on a nice soap for your body that is going to nourish your skin and actually moisturize it? A bar of soap last alot longer than the cup of coffee! ;) You need to believe in your product, if you don't nobody else will either.

All I can tell you is, I have given out a few bars of my hp soap to friends and they are in love with them and they keep coming back for more...I offer them something they cannot get at a supermarket...

Quality ingredients , skin loving soap ,and my personal scents that my friends absolutly love and will not find at a supermarket..