Votives - Do you prefer using Wick Pins or Handsetting Wicks?

Hi, I'm wondering how many people use wick pins when making votives versus handsetting the wicks. I've tried wick pins but sometimes have problems getting the wick pin out of the candle (even cracking some of the votives), so I've been putting setting the wicks by hand as I generally only make 8 at a time. Wondering what the experienced candlemakers have found works best for them. Thanks for your thoughts!

wick pins~~when I first started out I have wick pins that the bottoms are curved up and they can be hard to get out...I recently got some from CS and they have flat bottoms which for some reason they come out very easy..

which pins do you have..

What I find works well is pouring the wax into the molds and after the wax sets up, if you have a small drill bit, just drill a small hole for the wick. This might sound more time consuming but on the other hand if your having trouble with your pins getting stuck and causing damage to your votives that's taking up time and creating possible waste. This technique might help things go smoother for you and eliminate sticky pins and broken votives. JMO. What works for one may not work for another. Hang in their and experiment to find what works for you.

Wick Pins ----------Hands Down!!!!!!!!!!!! it is easier for my customers to remove the wick if they want to melt it in thier burners/simmer pots!

Plus I use the votive wicks with the small tab cause the neck is longer and will push into the hole very secure and not fall out!

I tried Wick Pins but didn't like the concave bottoms on the votives.

Does anyone know of any other supplier that has the flat bottomed wick pins like the ones at CandleScience??

I am in Canada and CS only ships via UPS here which is VERY costly.

We use wickpins whenever we can on all of our non-container candles (wish we could figure out a way to use them on container candles)! We do not have trouble with them sticking - have never had to put on in the freezer, etc. There is a difference between a wickpin sticking and mold vacuum... We have more trouble with mold vacuum when using a flat-bottomed wickpin or mold. We use the concave ones - the tabbed wick fits into the depression very well.

We use wick pins! We usually pour 24 at a time, and when it is time to pull them out, the bad boys that don't want to pop out, we put them in the freezer!

They are ready to come out easily after that.

It seems that different FO's used determines the ease of the release.

Some of our candles pop out easily, and some don't. Maybe it is the amount of "oil" in the FO?