help with recipe

katshe

I made this soap recipe and hubby loves it but the smell of olive is bothering me . Can I sub soybean for the olive without risking dos?- and what to add for hardness, tried palm in calc but ups creamy lather but I am concerned it will cut bubbles

I did hp and this soap has taken weeks to harden up but is lasting longer in shower now.

here it is this is nice creamy bubbly conditioning soap

25% coconut

30% lard

25% olive

10% sunflower (may change to canola)

5 % mango ( may change to cocoa butter)

Hard 40

clean 17

cond 55

bub l 22

cre l 27

iodine 60

ins 152

Thanks for helping

Is there a reason you WANT to sub out the Olive? (ETA - just noticed that you commented it was the smell you didn't like. I've never noticed the smell except in my castile soap. But to me, it's just the smell of soap... is your olive oil still good?) It's a staple soap making oil for me. I would never soap without it. Not only will it help with a stable lather (but smaller bubbles), it will also help you get a harder bar. It takes longer to set up, but it does make a hard bar once it's fully cured. My castile soaps (100% olive oil) take forever to fully harden, but once they are, they are the hardest soaps I sell, so they last FOREVER.

If it's the cost of Olive Oil, honestly, I've always felt it's worth it.

But for oils that will harden...

Palm

Palm Kernel

Cocoa Butter

Shea to a degree

Mango

Most of the oils that are solid at room temperature will help create a harder bar. You can also add a small amount of Stearic Acid to help firm up your bar.

If you sub the OO for the SBO, you will have to run it through the calc. It will also probably make for a softer bar than if you used OO. I've not had a problem with DOS on my soaps that I've used SBO with either. As has been mentioned, RBO is a great sub for OO and is much cheaper but does not have the label appeal as OO.

ETA - Babassu is another one that is useful to help create a hard bar with fluffy lather. I use it in just about about every one of my recipes.

I made this soap recipe and hubby loves it but the smell of olive is bothering me . Can I sub soybean for the olive without risking dos?-

I wouldn't at 25%. Did you sniff your OO first? You should always sniff your oils before soaping them. If they go rancid, they smell like dirty socks. If you want to use palm, sub for the lard. You have 60% hard oils and that should be plenty. I too only notice the scent of olive in unscented castile. Did you use fragrance? If so, how much?

e

olive oil smells fine in the bottle...i used 1 ounce of fragrance for 3 lbs soap

fo was super strong for a couple weeks now i am gettin oo smell in the shower not much fo

I have made a batch with palm and no oo used a combo of soybean,canola and i can't remember what else but turned out fine but not as creamy and bubbly even though numbers on calc say it should have been

That is why i am wanting to keep the lard

The one from Trade Joes is definatley more on the extra virgin side. Its pretty dark in color. Maybe if you find a different type it wont smell as strong. I use pure olive oil from Costco and it doesnt have a strong scent at all and its on the lighter color side.