EO's for lotions

kidsngarden

I have been using fragrance oils for my lotions. but I am marketing to a natural food store this month and would like a few good EO's or EO blends to bring. I know I can't use Citrus - and I'm assuming bergamot counts as well?

I make a lavender lemongrass that sells well, but that is as far as my EO ventures have taken me.

I think I will do a straight ylang ylang and one with vanilla oleoresin.

any other suggestions and formulas?

Thanks,

Bethany

I know I can't use Citrus - and I'm assuming bergamot counts as well?

Please forgive my ignorance, but why can you not use citrus essential oils or bergamot?

As for fragrances, patchouli is usually a classic choice of health food store patrons... perhaps peppermint would be refreshing? Good luck. :D

Unless it is 5 fold or greater citrus essentila oils are photosensitizers and cause you to burn easy.

So how much patchouli would you recommend for lotion? I usually make a 24 oz batch per fragrance. I have done peppermint before as well, but just forgot about it - and I guess I could try a straight lavender.

Thanks,

Bethany

Bergamot is supposed to be one of the worst photosensitizing oils, but you can buy bergaptene-free bergamot, also known as bergamot FCF, which has the phototoxic elements removed. Also, distilled lime EO is supposedly not phototoxic or photosensitizing. It doesn't smell as good as cold-pressed lime in my opinion, but that's the trade-off. I've read conflicting opinions on whether folded citrus oils lose their photoxicity; I wish I could find a definitive answer on this.

I use 0.5% fragrance for all my lotions.

For ideas for EO blends, check out the blend calculator at Rainbow Meadows:

http://www.rainbowmeadow.com/infocenter/calc_eoblend/blendselect.php

You have to be very careful when using EO's. Some are not suitable for use while pregnant, if you have high blood pressure...I can't remember which EO it was but I was looking over a list and one was not for use by those with epilepsy. Oddly their was a warning with the Lavender EO not for use by those with LOW blood pressure. I always assume Lavender was the safest EO of all to use.