First batch of soy, don't know wick

Hello all!:P

First batch almost in the process. I ordered the sample pack of wicks from Snowtop (the HTP pack). I am going to pour the 100% soy no additives into 8oz wide mouth jars (the short and fat ones). Any suggestions would be absolutly wonderful and much appreciated!

Thanks,:yay:

Tash

Orange chiffon from ST is the stuff!! I admit it is the first candle I have done and I don't have anything to compair them by except for the candles I have bought but so far but it is awsome! There is a bit of frosting on them though. I do have one that I somewhat topped of and it looks great where I topped it off, so maybe I will try that next time. This was added when the wax was thick and heavy. I have not burned them yet for one, my whole entire house still smells like the candle and two, it has not been 24 hours yet.

:yay: Tash

Keep me posted!!

I have some HTP 105's on the way, and wanted to try them with Angie's oils.

Her oils are so strong!! I only need 1oz per pound.

Will do! I don't think I will be able to wait more than 24 hours to burn these babies! ha ha Going to burn them tonight, one in each room so I can figure the throw from this batch. So far, like I said, my house still smells like the candle. My husband came home after I had added the FO, I met him outside, we hugged, and he said that I smelled like frosting.

Tash:highfive:

Will do! I don't think I will be able to wait more than 24 hours to burn these babies! ha ha Going to burn them tonight, one in each room so I can figure the throw from this batch. So far, like I said, my house still smells like the candle. My husband came home after I had added the FO, I met him outside, we hugged, and he said that I smelled like frosting.

Tash:highfive:

Too Funny!!!:P

My husband comes home now and says"let me guess, candles and not a wonderful pumpkin pie"

I have only sampled from ST, but the samples I have are incredible!!!

I just wish she had more to choose from.

I really try to wait at least a week before I burn my candles bx I am using C-3 Naturewax instead of Snowtop. I can get it locally, so I save big on S/H.

C-3 seems to need a longer cure time than ST.

It kills me to wait though!!!!

Keep me posted!!:yay:

Renee

I use those same jars with a soy/bw/natural botanicals combo, no dye and I could never get a full mp with an HTP 104, 105 or 126 - my experience is that they are just too small. In these jars, I have successfully used 62C's, HTP 1212 or a CD 20. I've only found one FO that I can wick with a 60C in these jars and get a great burn and mp. With heavier FOs, I have to wick up to an HTP 1312 or a CD 22 in order to get a full mp and proper burn. But, I've never been able to go any smaller than these size wicks or their equivalent in other kinds of wicks. Sometimes, RRD 55's will give me a full mp, but any smaller RRD, and I can't get a full mp. I've been working with these jars for about 2 years now and when I tested those wicks, for me, they just did not even come close to burning with a full mp. Just goes to show you how different all of our experiences are. :)

Yup, I would have to agree with Meridith on the HTP. I am burning the first 104 of this batch and it is not have a great MP at all. I will burn the 105 next and see how that goes. I also have some 1212 and 1312 so I will try these if the others don't work out. I am using ST 100% soy without color. Does the color or amount of color affect your burn of your wick? The wick itself is a good wick. Even flame and self trimming without any smoke so far.

Tash

The addition of dye, FO or any other additive can and most likely will affect your wicking and cause you to have to wick up. These widemouth jars can be kind of tricky to wick to the extent that their diameter (3 inches) is about as wide as you can go with soy without having to to double wick. I personally think these jars are too small to DW because when DW I think it looks funny. JMO Some heavier FOs (like Drakkar) I just can not use in these jars because I won't DW. The cotton wicks that Peaks sells are hard to wick this jar with since they don't have one that is large/hot enough to give a full mp. Too bad - I tested those wicks and really liked them. An HTP 1212 should actually work for you with most FOs. My experience shows that most times, a 1312, while I can get a great throw from them, burns to hot and fast.

I've tried the LX wicks also using the largest they have and still had trouble with alot of my FOs getting a full mp.

Ok finally tried out the HTP 1212 and HTP 1312. The 1212 in an 8oz wide mouth mason jar did fine, I just had to burn forever to get that (like 5 hours) and the mushroom was huge and nasty looking. Any suggestions of what wick to use without a great big huge mushroom on top. I am also considering switching to a smaller mouthed jar, maybe an 8oz regular mouth.

TIA,

Tas