Rust Ring in Tins

Best way to get rid of the rust is to squirt some WD-40 on the rust and let it sit for a while and then wipe it out, the rust goes with it and it also protects the metal from further rusting.

It's the horror of metal candle molds, I just had to do that with my votive cups unfortunately, I guess there was moisture somewhere close when they were packed up for the move. They're all clean now and it takes time to get every single speck of rust off, but it's worth it.

HTH

Yes, I have only experimented with tins. Left them in the cupboard in my garage over the winter. When I took them out to have a look this summer, there was a ring of rust around the inside. I know I cooled them before putting the lids on but I live in a climate that gets alot of rain over the winter, so I think its from condensation of some sort. By the way it happened on four different FOs. They were not strong ones.

No, they are not made of aluminum. I have this problem with many of my scents. Especially anything with any vanilla in it or any spice like cinnamon. Driving me nuts. I even called the manufacturer of my tins to get advice. They were not aware that this was happening as many of their tins are used for candles. No advice though. I'm still working to fix it.

I thought they were made of aluminum...?
Heh heh....not! The reasoon I say it like that is I've seen a few suppliers that advertise "Aluminum tins"...Candlewic being the most obvious. All their tins are identified as "Aluminum"...and they're not. I've e-mailed them and pointed it out, saying it could be very misleading to someone who wants to buy them and maybe use them for products containing water...like salts maybe. They never change it though. Seamless tins are made of steel. HTH.

Heh heh....not! The reasoon I say it like that is I've seen a few suppliers that advertise "Aluminum tins"...Candlewic being the most obvious. All their tins are identified as "Aluminum"...and they're not. I've e-mailed them and pointed it out, saying it could be very misleading to someone who wants to buy them and maybe use them for products containing water...like salts maybe. They never change it though. Seamless tins are made of steel. HTH.
Heh, that's illuminating. I should have noticed the similarity to the pour pot material. I have a magnetized knife sharpener and I just picked up a tin with it.

• 2 weeks later...

I had this problem my first round of tins and decided to not even work with tins anymore. Now.. I've gone and bought tins again along with a jar of mod podge. Whats the freaking trick to getting this to stay on the tins? I just tried to brush a layer on the inside of the tin and while it goes on smooth.. it ended up doing what I think looks like a spiderweb. I've never used this stuff before so any help would really be appreciated :)