Brand name candle

Holy Black Stuff, Batman!!:shocked2::shocked2::shocked2: If that was decoration around the top, I now understand why it's there!!:rolleyes2 Maybe you can find some Peony from one of the excellent FO suppliers and make some of your own that won't have to be labeled as a "smoked product.":laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

We get these threads pretty often don't we. An "aftermath" photo of a candle that burned badly, followed by posts from crafters patting themselves on the back. But I can't draw any conclusion from it because any candle can burn badly.

Why shouldn't good candle makers pat themselves on the back? I think most of us test the hell out of our candles, drive ourselves nuts making sure it's the best it can be. Then you have these huge corps who say they started at home but the end product is just beautiful packaging and $hitty candles.

Did you get it from a store or directly from their website? Just wondering' date=' as I have not noticed this brand in stores before.[/quote']

From their website.

Is it me or is that flame pretty high?

I would blow it out and trim it. and as the warning labels usually state discontinue use if it aint burning right.

JMO

I always keep wicks trimmed. This candle is over wicked by about 2-3 sizes for this jar. Not only that but the wick was not centered at all when I received it.

I bought this candle like other candles because I wanted to burn them in comparison to mine.

Then you have these huge corps who say they started at home but the end product is just beautiful packaging and $hitty candles.

I'm not necessarily rejecting your result, but I also have no basis to be strongly convinced by just an aftermath photo.

The idea of having commercial candle test results here is very interesting. I'd just rather see a Henryk-style test thread where the procedure is spelled out and carefully followed as well as documented with photos so we can see what's happening. Otherwise we just have one more self-congratulating thread without much hard backup.

I think most of us test the hell out of our candles, drive ourselves nuts making sure it's the best it can be.

I know some people do that. I don't know how you conclude it's most people. I figure there are a lot of crappy commercial candles but even more crappy craft candles. There are also well designed candles on both sides.

I know some people do that. I don't know how you conclude it's most people. I figure there are a lot of crappy commercial candles but even more crappy craft candles. There are also well designed candles on both sides.

Wise words Top.

So, does anyone fancy drawing up a procedure for testing candles? Bash it out through this forum in a collaborative writing effort? We could then get a nice archive of results together.

Mr Chips

I understand where you are coming from Top, though isn't a candle just a candle, whether it be commercial or not? Sure there are tons of crappy candles on both sides of the fence, but this is a candle forum so I don't think anyone is off base by posting one or the other. The results of test burning a commercial candle may be inconclusive but it does prove that the big dogs don't know it all either. Sure a Henryk or Top style thread showing procedure and documentation is most excellent, but I think that showing the burn of a million dollar candle company can be reassuring to chandlers like us as well.

When I say that "most" of us make quality candles, I chop it up for one, to being a participant of a very knowledgeable forum like this. Being on here, researching and posting, to me, is a step in wanting to better your products. If not then there sure wouldn't be a point to all of this, correct? Now I'm not saying all forums members have this goal but I would include someone such as yourself and many others who do in fact strive to and make quality candles. As is the reason to buy a commercial candle in the first place, so since I have it, why not post it?

Is it me or is that flame pretty high?

I would blow it out and trim it. and as the warning labels usually state discontinue use if it aint burning right.

JMO

That was what I thought too. Just seems way too high for 1/4" wick.

I think it's great to show commercial candles, but then again, it'd be better if we saw how it got that way. I could (and I'm sure anyone else, not saying JUST me) take anyone's candles here and get them to soot, especially with a flame like that.

ETA: And I'm not sure if it's just me seeing it, but I see the flame moving around between all those pics, suggesting there's a slight draft, as opposed to relatively still.

That was what I thought too. Just seems way too high for 1/4" wick.

I think it's great to show commercial candles, but then again, it'd be better if we saw how it got that way. I could (and I'm sure anyone else, not saying JUST me) take anyone's candles here and get them to soot, especially with a flame like that.

ETA: And I'm not sure if it's just me seeing it, but I see the flame moving around between all those pics, suggesting there's a slight draft, as opposed to relatively still.

It tickles me so that some of you think that I would purposely sabotage a candle that I paid $20 for and bought for R&D purposes. No Miss Mary and Mizzbusy, there is no draft, and if the flame looks big, well that's because it is big. I believe the term is overwicked.

Well to everyone on the forum, I apologize for causing any controversy, that certainly was not my intention. My wrist has been slapped, and the lesson has been learned. Thank you :P.

You did nothing wrong in posting that silvermoon. As usual, the know it alls come out of the woodwork and need a play by play on how this candle got to look like that. Impossible for a candle housed in such pretty packaging to burn so crappy, LMAO. Most of them do. You pay dearly for the packaging and end up with what is shown.

I have seen many posts like this about big candle companies, some with links showing how wicks aren't centered etc. So what is different about this post? We all know crappy candles are everywhere, as shown right here in the gallery as well in a lot of stores.

Ever burn a Bath and Body Works candle. Those suck to the max, but people buy them up like they were the best thing since sliced bread. Same with their inferior body lotions and creams. They smell great but do zilch for the purpose intended.

I'm not sure if it's just me, but I really have one hell of a time seeing the flame move in a bunch of still photos. I mean, you REALLY have to have a desperate need to criticize if you will sit there and analyze a bunch of photos to see if there is a slight movement in the flame.

BTW, in a perfect world, all candles would burn in a completely draft-free environment. In our world, however, even though I try to keep my candle out of any obvious wind tunnels, there are still time when a small draft will cause a flame to move. As in when someone walks around, or opens a door for a few seconds. I'm sure that if silvermoon's flame was in fact guilty of moving, maybe it was becuase she had to move her arm or something. Sheesh!