First Craft Fair Expectations: What Should They Be?

EmpressC

Hi all,

I'll be doing my first craft fair next month. It's a 2-day event, and expected attendance is 5,000 - 10,000. I'm just wondering if you experienced ones know how much I can safely expect to sell?

I am aware that the number could very well be $0 (I sure hope not, though), but I am sure that many still have a certain amount they expect to sell. Is there a certain percentage you guys look at? Or does everyone just wing it? Is a good goal/expectation to just break even or break the bank?

TIA.

In all honesty, I don't necessairly judge a show based on how much I make. I think there are other factors involved. For example, you may barely clear the cost of your booth, but you may have passed out your business card to tons of people. For me a show is also about exposure. Of course, we all hope to make a good bit of money, but every show is different. Hope that helps!

You never really can tell how much you may or may not sell at an event, there are so very many factors to consider. I would say for your 1st one don't worry too much about how much you're going to sell, focus on making an attractive display, getting comfortable with the process and enjoy interacting with customers. I have a lot of shows under my belt now, but still remember how scared I was that 1st time! Good luck!

Was thinking it was Robin who posted something about 10% of the amount of what you're bringing, but that would be based on the attendance of a show too. Honestly in our first one we went without expectation and just to get it done. We've studied booths and arranged and re-arranged ours enough and have been slowly adding to it. Eventually we'll have what we want.

We just didn't know what to expect and even now it's a hard one to call. I tend to be among those who think when gas prices go up, people spend less or stop spending. So far I've been proven wrong. Same with heat and ease to carry. If you're inviting enough, welcoming enough, engaging enough and people can get their hands on your products, you should do just fine! Good luck on your first fair.

For first fair, I just expected to enjoy the experience, practiced my marketing and display, and hoped to pay for the booth and expenses. Where else can you learn marketing and get paid for it :) All of us need to learn now to sell - it's not a natural thing for most folks. Even now after 5 years fairs and markets surprise me. I guess one of the best things to learn is you'll never truly understand customers buying patterns :)

And on your first one, don't take it personally if people walk by without even glancing at you. Sometimes you get that feeling of "gee I must be invisible or something". I had that last weekend as a matter of fact! Some people just aren't in to your product - it doesn't mean it sucks or anything like that. Just watch people, how they flow through the fair, what you might do to catch people's attention.

Good luck!

Don't be bummed out if you don't make a lot of money. I have had shows where the biggest payoff was the exposure I had. If its a good show you may get some good leads for more shows or even asked about wholesaling or selling at local retail shops.

Some of the best sales I have had have been the smaller local shows. They tend to be my bread and butter and I also sell to local shops that I do shows in.

It sounds like a big enough show you should do well. What helps me a lot at shows is to be enthusiastic and believe in my products. If you love what you sell it shows and your customers will see that. Customers get turned off if you are sitting there ignoring them. JMO

Thanx for the additional input. I never thought about the fact that I'll be getting exposure whether I get sales or not. If I can walk away with wholesale possibilities, that'd be great. But since this is my first time, I'll just be content to use this as a learning experience. Everything else is just gravy! :grin2:

I try to keep statistics on shows over the years and found 10% of the expected crowd does purchase from me. My average sale is $20. I look at the expenses expected for the show and then look at the expected attendance numbers. I now expect a certain profit level before I'll go through the travel, setup and tear down of a show so these statistics have helped in choosing which ones to do.

Hmmm...

Sherl, by your calculation, if 5000 people attend my upcoming event I can (theoretically, of course) expect 500 people (10%) to purchase from me. Yielding an average sales of $10,000 (500 * $20)???

That seems a bit high. Are these really what kind of numbers you're seeing? If so, you must have one heck of a display! :D

I vend at about 40 shows a year,,, Truely I don't think there are any pat answers to how much you will make at a show unless you've vended there before and even then some things will change from year to year. I've paid $60.00 for a booth and have made $1800 from it in a day, then again I've paid $200 for a booth, and made $800 a day. I have 3 day farmers market I pay $130 and make about $5500. I keep records such as Sherl does and I set my own expectations for returning shows, however, first time shows I never really know about, until I'm there.

There are so many variables for craft shows. The weather, how well it's advertised from the promotor, how many other shows are on the same weekend, the latest high or dip in the stock market, how many are selling the same type of product you are etc,etc,etc. The variables are out of your control, but will have an impact on your expectations.

My personal expectations for every show are, be ready before the doors open, take the opportunity to promote my business and network a little, bring enough product, make large signs advertising what's in my booth to attract people in, have a knock out display, keep standing and smiling, have plenty of business cards for people who are browsing to buy at a later date. and above all .... have FUN!!!! :grin2: :grin2: :grin2: :grin2: