Reusing candle glass for drinking

I've used a couple of tumblers, but I did only use soy wax in these and after cleaning really well, I put them in the dishwasher. My dad always said you have to eat a bucket of garbage and dirt before you die...so I figure I'm helping to fill the bucket! Just kidding, they were very clean!!

I've used tumblers that had previously had either soy wax or paraffin wax. I wash them very well outdoors just to make sure no wax gets in my drain. I scrub with a brush and when all of the wax is gone I use vinegar and water then rinse well. This was just for my own use so I didn't have any problems. I didn't sell them to the customer as use for anything other than candles. I don't know if anyone here is old enough to remember the wax candy lips that use to be filled with gel. When I was a kid they were popular around Halloween. They would either be just funny lips or a mouth with ugly teeth. We all ate those and didn't have any problems. You'd be surprised how much paraffin is used in food products.

Thanks, kandlekrazy and KMommy! We have some customers who ask us if we can refill the glasses for them but we don't do refills. We figured we could tell them they can reuse the glasses for drinking as long as they've been cleaned really well. Just wanted to make sure.

Oh, I see. I think your correct in not doing refills. I reuse containers for my own personal testing but I don't re-use the containers from customers.

I should add that I do know there is a food grade paraffin. :grin2:

Oh, I see. I think your correct in not doing refills. I reuse containers for my own personal testing but I don't re-use the containers from customers.

We do the same. Some of them give back the containers so that we could reuse them for our testing.

That's a point I like to make to my customers, that soy wax if consumer safe, in all respects, even some soy waxes are registered kosher...:confused:...weird. I tell them that means you can eat one without sinning, but in about 3 minutes you might FEEL like you did...sorry for the bad joke.

Anyway, a chandler in a nearby town will do refills at a deeply discounted rate, and these folks I guess have spread the word about it, and I get asked at shows if I do that also, and I tell them that a focused flame source can unevenly stress the container, especially being frosted. Therefore, refilling and relighting may cause the jar to burst, and I want to have a free conscience about it.

That's a point I like to make to my customers, that soy wax if consumer safe, in all respects, even some soy waxes are registered kosher...:confused:...weird. I tell them that means you can eat one without sinning, but in about 3 minutes you might FEEL like you did...sorry for the bad joke.

Anyway, a chandler in a nearby town will do refills at a deeply discounted rate, and these folks I guess have spread the word about it, and I get asked at shows if I do that also, and I tell them that a focused flame source can unevenly stress the container, especially being frosted. Therefore, refilling and relighting may cause the jar to burst, and I want to have a free conscience about it.

Love your CT name! Amoung my favorite foods. We reuse our testing jars all the time, I've never had one break yet, but I know what I put them through. I would use them as glasses for myself, but don't know that I would recommend for a customer to use them to drink out of (I'm not going to sue myself if I get cut.) We offer .50 to $1.00 off anyone who returns the container in good shape (we only use these for testing, but you'd be surprised how many return customers you get just for doing this.) I'd be afraid to just refill a container for someone unless you can look at it under a microscope to be sure there are no fine cracks or stress lines?

Yes, you can use the glass tumblers as an everyday drinking glass after washing them out. Paraffin waxes are normally "food grade"; this covers from fully refined down to scale waxes. Are you aware of all of the foods that you eat that have a wax coating or they are all wax? Like chewing gum? Almost all wax. The coating on chocolates? And apples? Interesting Huh?

I never did, but I'd be careful in telling customers what they can do with an empty cointainer. You can state "clean very well" but as we know everyone has his own idea about what well is.

My biggest concerne would be about die and fo, not paraffin and soy.